Engine Space Fire Extinguishers - Pyrogen

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
I have now had a long talk with the UK company. The pyrogen works by releasing a fine aerosol of chemicals which both inhibit the fire and provide cooling. The name pyrogen is used because when the extinguisher operates the chemicals are forced out by a small chemical charge. The device is designed for use in enclosed spaces and the maximum exposure for people is 5 minutes.
The company claims that, for a given engine space, the pyrogen extinguisher will be smaller than the halon equivalent by a factor of two to three times. It is in use in super yachts and is MCA approved.
The extinguisher can be triggered either by a thermic fuse, which is said to operate at about the same temperature as the alcohol bulb on a halon extinguisher (170C), or from a control panel. It could be rigged to operate from a smoke detector or similar device. There is also a manually operated version, you pull the pin and lob it into the engine space.
I asked about after affects, the answer was that it would not stop your engine, and if it did there would be no damaging after affects. (My engine would stop as if I had a fire in the engine compartment I would use the remote fuel cut off). The residue can then be brushed or vacuumed up. If the engine space is damp the crystals may take up moisture and become sticky in which case they can be hosed away.
There are various sizes of the extinguisher depending on the volume of space to be protected. A price indication was that an extinguisher for a 1cubic metre volume is about £125, 2 cubic metres about £170 and 5 cubic metres about £335.
The product has a life of up to 10 years but should be inspected for corrosion, being aluminium. It should be replaced if the case is damaged or dented.

Be interesting to know how this compares with CO2, halon etc on a volume for volume basis and a through life cost of ownership if anyone has data.

Chris Stannard

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris - thanks for the information. They are quiite expensive, and my engine room is about 2 cubic meters.

I might have tracked down a source of Halon in Belgium. So i'll wait for that first then follw up on this, if that comes to nothing.

Thanks

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
If your Belgium source comes up let me know, as I think pyrogen is expensive. I would also like to see an independent view of the effectiveness of the system before I buy. anyone know what the halon equivalent costs, it might give us a bargaining chip!

Chris Stannard

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I have two auto halons in my engine compartment that the surveyor calculated at 3 cubic metres, and to the best of my recollection, didn't cost a lot more that £70 for the two. I'd have to dig back in the files for three years ago to be certain.

Yes, I'd also be interested in the Belgium outlet, though, if you read the other thread on extinguishers (further down the list) you will see that ccscott has had his re-dated - which is what I am hoping to do with mine

regards,
Philip