Engine smoke

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
My BMC 1.5 diesel has now been rebuilt. It has been bored, sleeved and reground all round.
It starts ok in the BMC fashion but the exhaust is smoky. Blue smoke. The injector pressures are correct (135 bar) and the spray patterns look ok (but to my eye).
Possible reasons?

Ostara24

Visit site
It takes a good few hours of run in time to bed everything after a rebuild, particulalry if reboring was involved.

Just monitor it and you should notice it stops after a few weeks.

Boater Sam

Visit site
The correct nozzles for the BMC have an auxillary spray hole to the side of the pintle pin. So there are 2 spray patterns. They are for the Recardo patent precombustion swirl chamber in the head.
The Perkins ones look externally to be the same but do not have the extra hole and are slightly longer in the stem which can break through the top hat heatshield in the head when tightened down.
Very pale blue smoke would suggest a spray problem causing poor combustion, or very retarded injection timing.
The timing can be badly affected by wear in the skew gears driving the injection pump or maladjustment of the pump position.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
The correct nozzles for the BMC have an auxillary spray hole to the side of the pintle pin. So there are 2 spray patterns. They are for the Recardo patent precombustion swirl chamber in the head.
The Perkins ones look externally to be the same but do not have the extra hole and are slightly longer in the stem which can break through the top hat heatshield in the head when tightened down.
Very pale blue smoke would suggest a spray problem causing poor combustion, or very retarded injection timing.
The timing can be badly affected by wear in the skew gears driving the injection pump or maladjustment of the pump position.
I believe the injectors are correct and the symptoms are the same when I swap to the injectors from my previous engine. There are two jets from the nozzles but, I suppose, the spray pattern can only be judged subjectively using experience yet to make my acquaintance.
I have ordered a new set of nozzles.
In terms of timing, the precise instruction on positioning the injector pump drive shaft read, "set to 5.00 o'clock".
To an engineer like wot I is, that lacks a little precision. However, there are so few teeth on the skew gear that I think 4.00'clock or 6.00'clock would prevent firing completely.
I have a learned friend who grew up with these engines visiting tomorrow and maybe his experience will serve in terms of which way to nudge the pump.
Thanks for the suggestions.