Engine service costs.....

adpmijs1

Visit site
Is it me, or does £275 + VAT sound a bit over the top for an engine service?

Volvo Penta 2040, including changing the gearbox oil.

To be honest, I though it would half that price. Does anyone have any comments?

Normally I would do the oil / filter changes myself, but cannot at the moment as I am several thousand miles away, and just getting the boat serviced prior to it being delivered to me.

??

Visit site
Thats about what you would pay for a car service so no, it doesnt seem over the top to me.

Bit high maybe. Why dont you just service it yourself when you are next on the boat. Only takes an hour or so.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Depends on where the boat is located. Remember you are paying for the travel time as well as the time working on the boat. Two hours working on your engine could be half a days work if the fitter does not work on site.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
If that includes Oil, filter, coarse fuel filter, fine fuel filter, anodes, impeller, belts, etc then it doesn't sound too bad. If all the bits are on top them maybe a bit on the steep side.

I do all my own engine servicing so others may be in a better position to comment.

Heckler

Visit site

Volvo Penta 2040, including changing the gearbox oil.

To be honest, I though it would half that price. Does anyone have any comments?

Normally I would do the oil / filter changes myself, but cannot at the moment as I am several thousand miles away, and just getting the boat serviced prior to it being delivered to me.

??
Oil filter (not OEM) £5, oil, Asda finest ( you dont need semi synth in the 2040) £14
fuel filter £5. Gearbox oil .6 ltre of engine oil (see above) or maybe semisynth 75-90 £8
and about an hour to do it!
Stu

Spyro

Visit site
Oil filter (not OEM) £5, oil, Asda finest ( you dont need semi synth in the 2040) £14
fuel filter £5. Gearbox oil .6 ltre of engine oil (see above) or maybe semisynth 75-90 £8
and about an hour to do it!
Stu

Sounds more like it. £330 inc vat is a total rip off but it's probably the going rate. :mad:

Topcat47

Visit site
It's a Volvo, so OEM consumables will be OTT, Say £75 for the filters and engine anodes and gaskets/o-rings etc. You'll also pay top dollar for the oil (try buying some to top your car up in a filling station and you'll see what I mean). I guess you're being charged for half a day, which isn't obnoxious if theres some travelling involved. Charge out rates for main stealers' staff can be as high as £60/hr. The real rip off is George's 20%, paid out of taxable income. I suppose that's what we get for joining the common market.

rob2

Visit site
The real rip off is George's 20%, paid out of taxable income. I suppose that's what we get for joining the common market.

Yes and it was The Grocer who promised us a referendum on joining and then asked "join now or tomorrow?" AND he was a sailor!!! Bring back DeGaulle and his "Non!"

Rob.

Pinnacle

Visit site
Have just recieved the bill for our D2-55. Total inc parts and labour was two hundred and a couple of pounds. Seemed very fair to me. :)

We all know VP's parts are expensive.......:(

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com

Sounds about right, which is why I'll be doing it myself from now on. Last time I didn't have the time or the knowledge so paid for the engine to be serviced.

Now I can do everything myself including adjusting the valve clearances.

Tools needed: socket set, ring spanners, screwdrivers, feeler gauges, oil sump pump, and a load of latex gloves, and a few pedal bin bags (without holes in) and some oil absorbent cloth. Then whatever filters/oil you want to replace.

I also know it's all been done, not that I'm sceptical you understand:D, but when I shelled out a load on money and there was no discernible difference in how the engine looked, it does make you wonder :rolleyes:

They replaced a seal and tightened up the anode bolt too tightly so I know someone had been playing:eek:

rob2

Visit site
Yes, it does sound a lot - but that seems to be the going rate. As stated, they are probably charging half a day (during which they serviced six engines). Perhaps more to the point is whether the price includes a detailed worksheet. I have the details of the last service done on mine (before I bought it) and it included oil, filters and some parts that I can't identify(!) It didn't include anything as complex as checking tappet adjustments or a gearbox oil change. The engine died after half an hour.

Marine diesels are pretty simple to service and well worth doing oneself, even though warm oil trickling down your arms isn't pleasant. While you're doing it, though you will inspect everything around the engine and clean up, which most engineers won't.

Rob.

Sometime

Visit site
I was looking at the servicing from RCR yesterday LINK £120 inc VAT and parts, you do need to be a member and the cheapest is £130 per year.
They have stopped doing servicing this year though.