Engine Bay Blower voltage cycling between 14V and 10V - voltage regulator issue ?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi. Thanks for all the feedback. In response to a question the alternator is attached to a ECS163 quick charge separator.

Disconnect the fan and heck the engine battery voltage, with the engine running.

If the battery voltage is stable, it must be the fan or the fan wiring. Connect the fan directly to the battery to determine which it is.

If the voltage still fluctuates, swap the domestic battery and engine battery connections on the ECS163 and again measure the voltages at both batteries. Does the fluctuation move to the domestic battery and the fan perform as normal ?

diversp

Visit site
Hi. Quite a debate going on here ! I disconnected the fan. Engine running the engine battery was stable at 14.1V. Agree it must be something relative to wiring for the fan or perhaps some errant controlller. I cannot see at all how the fan is connected to power without stripping out all the wiring and there is nothing in the manual on where it would be connected.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi. Quite a debate going on here ! I disconnected the fan. Engine running the engine battery was stable at 14.1V. Agree it must be something relative to wiring for the fan or perhaps some errant controlller. I cannot see at all how the fan is connected to power without stripping out all the wiring and there is nothing in the manual on where it would be connected.

If you connect a cable from the fan straight to the engine battery, you will know whether it's the fan or the wiring, depending on whether the fan speed fluctuates or not. My feeling is that it will be the wiring, but it's a simple check to confirm.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
If you connect a cable from the fan straight to the engine battery, you will know whether it's the fan or the wiring, depending on whether the fan speed fluctuates or not. My feeling is that it will be the wiring, but it's a simple check to confirm.
As the OP has installed a new fan and both behave the same, I would expect an external, to the fan, problem. such as a wiring fault suggested by Paul. However, is it possible that there is some restriction in the outlet hose, There may be a speed or overload device associated with the fan motor which could conceivably be affected by back pressure on the fan?? or some sort of thermostat or other controller fitted in the circuit, which could be defective. Without seeing the system difficult to say so basically just "Flying Kites" He could connect a test lamp to the fan wiring, with the fan disconnected and see if it varies. The problem could also be caused with something varying in resistance, heating and cooling? The difference he noticed in the volt drop at the battery, which was less than at the fan does suggest something at the fan or in the circuit after the battery.