Engine/ alternator regulator . . . Needed?

daveheaddon

Visit site
I have a home-built Perkins 102-04 (aka Volvo 2010) with the standard Perkins alternator. The latter is ** tiny ** but then I have little need of much charging so I've stuck with it.

Question is, the alternator is sooooooo small that it doesn't appear to have a regulator. Is this likley? If so should I fit an external regulator to save cooking the 2 batteries....tho' that might take several hours.

Would a split charger help? I may fit my Rutland generator at some point and I guess I could add in a unit to manage voltage regulation on both?

Any recommendations?

Appreciated.

Dave

halcyon

Visit site
Most alternators have a regulator. it may be seperate, or it may be built into the brush box. Have you make or part number for it?
If you fit a split charge relay, if you select the right one, you can charge your serivce battery from the engine, and the engine battery from the Rutland as well. It is also possible to get a regulator built into the split charge unit.
May be a case of but it together and try it, then spend the money if you need to.

Brian

daveheaddon

Visit site
Thanks!

There is no part number I can find....it seems to be a fairly (thin) standard alternator supplied with the non-marinised Perkins 102-04.

The wiring diagram in the workshop manual shows the regulator separately (guess it would on a wiring diagram?) and the output as 14 amps at 14V. The exploded (isometric) diagram shows all of the parts but doesn't seem to list a regulator or diodes. ....oh wait a minute....a parts table shows the alternator as a 'GP8146' (Perkins part number 185046160). A very small plate on the alternator body shows a part number of GP9175 (!) but sprayed over by the Perkins battleship grey paint.

The manual also shows the regulator on a separate page with a number of RS5101....presumably a Perkins stock number.

Alternator (actually, I have 2) has 4 wires out, 2 blue and 2 white. Wiring diagram shows 2 blues as being connected to the regulator.

Thanks again
Dave