Engine Alarm

Scubafill

Visit site
The alarm within my engine switch only sounds for about 5 seconds when I choke the engine or leave it switched on without starting the engine.

Any comments or suggestions apreciated.

Phil

iacle

Visit site
Guess it depends on the engine - what do you have? Bukhs take the positive feed to the alarm from the alternator, so the alarm will only sound when the engine is still spinning - hence a few seconds when the engine is turned off. This means it doesn't sound when first turned on with engine stopped though. The warning lights are fed from the battery, through the switch, so they light up with engine stopped.

Scubafill

Visit site
Ian

Its a Yanmar 1GM10 in a Hunter 26.

I seem to remember that the alarm sounded when I turned the key on till the engin was started. Old age setting in - perhaps it did only sound for a short time.

Phil

steve28

www.falmouthgypsy.com
its either going to be the oil pressure sensor has gone faulty or the wiring to it, the best way to test is to take the wire off and touch it onto the case of the sender, do this with the ignition on but not started. if it sounds the buzzer then its the sender, it not the its the wiring

steve

iacle

Visit site
Phil,
If you follow the Yanmar link at web page there is a table of alarm conditions (in English!) that might help - looks like it does sound when first turned on so no worries about senility yet !!

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Guess it depends on the engine - what do you have? Bukhs take the positive feed to the alarm from the alternator, so the alarm will only sound when the engine is still spinning - hence a few seconds when the engine is turned off. This means it doesn't sound when first turned on with engine stopped though. The warning lights are fed from the battery, through the switch, so they light up with engine stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]Bull..... I suggest you have the wiring checked. I have a Bukh (DV24)and the alarm sounds on "ignition" and turns off on cranking then back on while stopping and stays on until the switch is returned to the off position.
----------
hammer.thumb.gif
“Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity”
Skype id:cliffillupo

broadcaster

Visit site
Our alarm stays on until the engine is running and oil pressure is up to correct levels. I think there is a overheat alarm as well. It doesn't alarm if the battery is not charging I believe.

VicMallows

Visit site
Cliff,

BUKHs must vary!. My DV20 certainly (when new) worked as follows:

1st RH position: Oil and charging lights on; no sound.
2nd RH position; crank; no sounds; oil light extinguishes when pressure builds: charging when alternator cuts in.

If pressure or alternator fails when engine running, alarm sounds.

1st LH position when engine running activates STOP solenoid. When oil pressure drops, alarm sounds (to ensure you switch back to off).

1st LH position with engine off activates stop solenoid and alarm sounds.

All this agrees with the circuit diagram.

--------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, the control circuitry (in my case behind the 'middle bottom blanking plate') is vulnerable to corrosion; in my case this resulted in (my) failure to switch off the stop solenoid when refuelling because the alarm did not sound. Fortunately noticed the fire starting before it was too late. Solenoid burnt out and replacements in region of £200. Fortunately got a used one for very much less through the forum. Now have made a double-interlock system where you have to both turn key to left AND press a spring-loaded button to activate the solenoid.

Vic
Unfo