Ending near

Yngmar

Visit site
Licata is 90% full and they are really making an effort here. I guess competition with nearby Ragusa. Happy hour twice a week with free food at the Café, Sunday BBQ in the purpose built marina BBQ area, free Italian lessons, lots of other events promoted by the brilliant office staff, and of course the stuff organised by other cruisers: Yoga, Pilates, Bridge, Dominoes and a Finnish log tossing game called Mölkky! Hard to get any work done :)

Weather has been mixed - lots of rain and the odd blow, but all fine except on the outside of the outer pontoons (which most liveaboards have moved away from now). Bit of fetch there across the half empty harbour, nothing dangerous though. Often muddy waters from the nearby river when it rains hard, but fouling not too bad so far, and likely to slow down now that the water has cooled.

Despite the distractions of rain and entertainment, we did some maintenance work, overhauled the hot water system, repainted the chain, replaced the kicker gas strut and ordered a whole bunch of parts for more upgrades. Luckily there's word of a boat jumble going around.

Skipping Croatia due to the silly cruising tax, so next year we'll peek into Greece for a bit and see how we like it there. Maybe we can find somewhere to hide from the heat and charter swarms in summer.

Crisby

Visit site
Yngmar, that doesn’t look a bad place to while away a few months! Our boat ashore at the other end of Sicily in Trapani, we’re also looking forward to heading to Greece next summer, ( hopefully for more than 90 days!) can’t wait!

Chris

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I am ashore in the Ionian right now trying to finish some jobs. It is very cold and wet and windy. While ashore I use an electric single pan hot plate for cooking. Normally it is turned on by a rotating knob for required temperature. Last night with the knob fully anti-clockwise which meant it was turned off, the temperature in the galley was so cold the darned thing turned itself on. It did not light the red indicator so I assume I have a smart hot-plate. Or a very sneaky one.

One A.

Visit site
Licata is 90% full and they are really making an effort here. I guess competition with nearby Ragusa. Happy hour twice a week with free food at the Café, Sunday BBQ in the purpose built marina BBQ area, free Italian lessons, lots of other events promoted by the brilliant office staff, and of course the stuff organised by other cruisers: Yoga, Pilates, Bridge, Dominoes and a Finnish log tossing game called Mölkky! Hard to get any work done :)

Weather has been mixed - lots of rain and the odd blow, but all fine except on the outside of the outer pontoons (which most liveaboards have moved away from now). Bit of fetch there across the half empty harbour, nothing dangerous though. Often muddy waters from the nearby river when it rains hard, but fouling not too bad so far, and likely to slow down now that the water has cooled.

Despite the distractions of rain and entertainment, we did some maintenance work, overhauled the hot water system, repainted the chain, replaced the kicker gas strut and ordered a whole bunch of parts for more upgrades. Luckily there's word of a boat jumble going around.

Skipping Croatia due to the silly cruising tax, so next year we'll peek into Greece for a bit and see how we like it there. Maybe we can find somewhere to hide from the heat and charter swarms in summer.

Have they got rid of the packs of wild dogs?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
after a 32 hour sail thought two thunder storms we arrived in Monastir Tunisia.
police and customs as friendly as there where last time we was here , five marina staff came out to take our lines as we arrived , maybe a bit over the top .
police and customs paper work took 30 mins as they had to go off to an hotel to get everything photo copy and the search of the boat by customs took less then 2 mins , consist of opening two wardrop and the center table lid and a look in the fridge .
surprising marina almost full as last year there was lots of spaces .
only down side here is we must remember to take up our gangway as the local do like to come aboard to have there photo taken . but hey there always a down side to every marina .
couple of days of rests then the work start , removing of sails and cleaning , service engine and Generator, pickle water maker, service windlass and winches , fit new fridge, re pipe toilet and add new sea cock for it ,re move running rigging and clean , re seal window scream , replace on craze window and stop a leak on another one,
then in then after noon ;) . whats the question we all get asked ? oh yea , don't we get bored being a live a board .
I wish I has the time to get bored.
have a good winter everyone.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi vic,fair winds.we are very happy here in ragusa,thanks for the pointer ?.see you in the new season

enjoy I sure you will . lots of nice people there , say Hi to David and Sam ,Dutch Peter , Roy and Jess and the other 15 odd couple we know who are wintering there this year , sorry we decided not to stay there but the ( 1100) different between 1700 Euros and 600 euros is a no brainier for us altho we will miss catching up with all our old friends.

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
Morning Vic,

Here in SE Asia the season really never ends. During the NE Monsoon you sail one area and during the SW Monsoon another. What we do is stop somewhere for a few weeks and go back home for a holiday. Lift outs and major maintenance are slotted in as and when. Oh and there are no morning nets, it would appear that people here know how to get their own weather forecasts.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Morning Vic,

Here in SE Asia the season really never ends. During the NE Monsoon you sail one area and during the SW Monsoon another. What we do is stop somewhere for a few weeks and go back home for a holiday. Lift outs and major maintenance are slotted in as and when. Oh and there are no morning nets, it would appear that people here know how to get their own weather forecasts.

Hi Albert
Good to hear your still enjoying the SE . no net here too in Tunisia. Another plus :) .
let us know if your in the U.K. Around Christmas , we back for some weeks , maybe we catch