emergency propulsion for smack

G

I have an a ferro cement smack about 10 tons displacement. Would this be moveable with a skulling oar over the stern? Would a Seagull 4+ move the boat at all? Last summer the engine packed up and as we sailed into Ramsgate harbour the wind died leaving as becalmed 50 metres from the pontoons.

G

Pete, I wouldn't give a categorical No to either of your questions, but I think you'd be pushing it either way. You'd need dead flat calm, or a helping current, to do either. Maybe your situation at Ramsgate would have been covered.

I've got a Seagull 2 that I use on a 15' open pulling boat. It's fine, but then her displacement's only a few hundred pounds.

My YM 3-tonner has an old Evinrude 6, and I don't think I'd want anything smaller. But I *do* occasionally (if there's no help for it) use a 14' sweep to scull or row her (with the tiller lashed.)

Had you thought about kedging in with your dinghy?

G

Having tried to dock a 72 foot schooner, with a 5kt current astern, that was under powered with a 40 hp engine I became a firm believer in proper power for a vessel. The results were not pretty but accomplished safely. A 4 hp seagull will do in flat calm. If you expect to maneuver in any kind of situation that may arise, the rule of thumb is 2hp for every ton. This will allow for most situations. Good luck