Em-trak wifi multiplex

Matwill

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I was looking to get a future proof AIS but wasn't sure if the 954/924 multiplexed data it receives on the NMEA network over wifi, I asked emtrak and this is the response I got

Currently any NMEA 0183 data received by the B900 Series will be multiplexed over Wi-Fi (as well as the other NMEA 0183 port). We are looking to extend that functionality so that a set of NMEA 2000 PGNs (including wind, speed, depth, etc) will be converted and multiplexed over NMEA 0183 and Wi-Fi. This feature will be added in a future software update, due for release in the coming weeks.

This is really great news for tablet users who still need to upgrade their instruments in the future, now i just need to decide on 2w or 5w

Mat

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I was looking to get a future proof AIS but wasn't sure if the 954/924 multiplexed data it receives on the NMEA network over wifi, I asked emtrak and this is the response I got

Currently any NMEA 0183 data received by the B900 Series will be multiplexed over Wi-Fi (as well as the other NMEA 0183 port). We are looking to extend that functionality so that a set of NMEA 2000 PGNs (including wind, speed, depth, etc) will be converted and multiplexed over NMEA 0183 and Wi-Fi. This feature will be added in a future software update, due for release in the coming weeks.

This is really great news for tablet users who still need to upgrade their instruments in the future, now i just need to decide on 2w or 5w

Mat

Emtrak AIS are really good value, i supply/fit lots of them. *

The differences between 2w and 5w are obviously the transmit range, but also the frequency of transmission and the way a slot is "reserved". For a sailboat, transmission frequency isn't an issue, as we don't usually go fast enough for the more frequent transmissions to come into play. So, it's really just about the transmission wattage and the slot reservation.

* As an official Emtrak dealer i do have a slight interest, but i do believe they are as good an AIS as they get. The parent company supplies AIS to many of the big name electronics companies, who rebrand them and mostly charge more money.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I tried to click your site to see how much you are selling them for but got denied :( - im currently based in NL btw

Should work now, i've removed the firewall rule that stopped overseas visitors. No prices on my website though, i'm mostly supply/fit, although i can supply only.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Mat
You might also consider the AMEC equivalent which is N2K by design.
B600W AIS SOTDMA Transponder / with WiFi / incl. GPS-Patch-Antenna only 959,95 € | SVB

dankilb

Visit site
Can’t wait to get/fit mine. The combined splitter option for VHF aerial is handy to rationalise the wiring if specifying a solution from scratch.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I would be surprised if the wattage makes much difference, as I understood VHF to be line-of-sight

Having the aerial on the mast will give a greater range than if it's on the pulpit - I'd expect that to me more significant.

Interference can also be a consideration, but there isn't much of that when we're offshore.

I would have thought SOTDMA would make more off a difference, especially in areas busy of shipping, such as the Solent.

When offshore I've often been able to see ships 12 or 20 miles away - they use class-A, which I find is 12W, so hypothetically they might not be able to see you at the same distance if you're transmitting at a low wattage, but I doubt if it's very asymmetric when you're offshore with little other AIS / VHF traffic or background radio noise.

In the Med I have been hailed by name by a tanker miles away, indicating that they saw our AIS - that was in 2018 on a friend's boat. I'm pretty sure that all AIS was 2W CSTDMA at the time, so I'm sure any of these options will be fine.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I'm a bit confused over what the 924 can or cannot transmit over wifi.
I would like to combine one in a Raymarine SeatalkNG system and understood from Emtrak's blurb that it will transmit all system data over wifi, ie including wind, speed, depth etc as well as AIS. From readng above it appears this may not be so. What's the reality?
I want to be able to display and select all/any instrumentation data on a tablet at the nav station using the appropriate (non Raymarine) apps.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I would buy a non wifi AIS and a dedicated multiplexer with wifi. In fact that's what I did but my boat is all N2K so plenty of nice options to chose from.

dankilb

Visit site
I'm a bit confused over what the 924 can or cannot transmit over wifi.
I would like to combine one in a Raymarine SeatalkNG system and understood from Emtrak's blurb that it will transmit all system data over wifi, ie including wind, speed, depth etc as well as AIS. From readng above it appears this may not be so. What's the reality?
I want to be able to display and select all/any instrumentation data on a tablet at the nav station using the appropriate (non Raymarine) apps.

This feature will be added in a future software update, due for release in the coming weeks.
Sounds like not long to wait, no? Also nice to know that development is ongoing and they’re responsive to queries.

mrming

instagram.com
I made this mistake also. Was looking to multiplex all data to a tablet and thought the 924 would kill two birds with one stone. In reality it just multiplexes AIS data. It’s very good at that, but the EmTrak site could have been much clearer about the feature. With hindsight I would have bought a non WiFi AIS unit and a regular multiplexer. If the feature arrives via an update I’ll be very pleased. :)

Slowboat35

Visit site
Then their blurb is very misleading indeed as it very much implies that it does transmit all data - there is no hint that it is so restricted.
I'd be absolutely furious if I'd bought one as I so nearly did a month or so ago.
Glad to hear there is a ful-fat version coming though, as long as it doesn't whack the already eye-watering price up any further.

dankilb

Visit site
Then their blurb is very misleading indeed as it very much implies that it does transmit all data - there is no hint that it is so restricted.
I'd be absolutely furious if I'd bought one as I so nearly did a month or so ago.
Glad to hear there is a ful-fat version coming though, as long as it doesn't whack the already eye-watering price up any further.
Price seems pretty good to me - versus cost of a transceiver, splitter and multiplexer separately. Haven’t bought one yet, so trying to see if I’m missing anything?!

What did/would you go for in the end?