Electrics & electronics

jimi

Visit site
I know nothing at all technical about these matters and think that I ought to learn something about it. Whats the best way to pick some knowledge up eg books, course etc? Any suggestions welcomed ... or do I just leave it to the professionals?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Get a good book and a multimeter and start trying to understand your boat's electrics.

If you leave it to the experts there may not always be one around when you need them.

<font color=blue>Nick</font color=blue>

BlueMoment.Com
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com/>http://www.bluemoment.com/</A>

jimi

Visit site
I got a multimeter a couple of weeks ago & have had Calder's Manual for quite some time but was hoping that someone could recommend a good intro book for idiots as I find Calder's book seems to assume some basic knowledge.

jimi

Visit site
Thats what I was aiming to do, but not having access to a decent library I was hoping someone might recommend a book which would be a useful start point for a technical ignoramus!

bedouin

Visit site
What don't you know?

There must be a lot of useful information on the internet these days. If you don't know the basics of electricity (e.g. Ohms Law) then a basic physics text would help. It's difficult to know what comes between that and the sort of into in Nigel Calder's book

tr7v8

Visit site
Buy the Haynes book of Automotive Electrics covers all the basic in pretty noddy mode as well. It's all 12V so most of it transfers into boats, then the Calder book wil start to make sense.

Jim
--------

Thresher

Visit site
I was in the same situation as you and decided to buy a 'learn electronics kit' from Maplins. £8 for about 30 experiments for 8 to 11 years old. After the first five experiments I didn't really know what I was doing anymore and gave up but it would have been a good idea if I had been a bit more determined.

G

Having owned both English and even worse Italian motorcycles I would have thort these electrical guides were essential. I'm glad I am an electrical ginger beard in this day and age....

The Italians can make wonderful machines but jeez their electricals were crap!!! Fortunately Laverda scrapped the IT electricals for Suzuki but kept their wonderfull frames and engines.

JeremyF

Visit site
Gosport School of Navigation

Jim

Doug at Gosport School of Navigation has developed a boat electrics course. I did his first course. It was one day, but I think he has expanded it to two days, as there was so much information to convey.

He's a great tutor, and his wife makes a great lunch. Thoroughly recommended for all shore-based courses!

<font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=red>

gtmoore

Visit site
When I asked a similar question some months ago someone here recommended the PBO book "Electrics Afloat". It has lots of clear pictures and diagrams and these are often used in the magazine. Easy to understand overviews and descriptions of separate circuits with basics covered too.

Not as detailed as Nigel Calders book but compliments it well in my opinion.

I got mine from Amazon but also available from the YBW site.

HTH

Gavin

andyball

Visit site
Re: Gosport School of Navigation

Is that the same Doug who did/does radio courses at Petersfield School (evening class)?

Maybe it was the teaching environment?,,or we're both terrible students?, but I couldn't say it was good- wife/I actually wished we'd paid more+ done it elsewhere...learnt more in one evening with the rya radio book.

tr7v8

Visit site
Electrical training

Have worked on and off in auto electrics for many years I'd be quite happy to give some one to one teaching or even a group in return for a few beers. I'd suggest being on someones boat but probably a bit cramped.

Jim
----------

JeremyF

Visit site

I doubt Doug does school-based work, as he's set up a room at his house as a classroom for 6, with all the kit there. Ive done diesel, VHF and electrics with him.

I think the trouble with the VHF course is that there isnt enough material to pad out a whole day.

<font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=red>

rogerm

Visit site
I think you need to differentiate between 'electrics' and 'electronics'. To jump into 'electronics' with a kit from Maplin is a bit like trying to run before you can walk. Even then although the theory is the same there are quite a few practical differences between 'mains' 230v ac systems and 12v dc as used on cars and boats. You really need to concentrate on 12v dc systems to start with as a/ it is reasonable simple to learn b/ will be the most practical use to you.
Roger

andyball

Visit site

Doug Hearn(e?) was the name (I remember now)...& he did do courses from home too.

Agree about filling a day/ 3 evenings with vhf...but our course was so sloooow,we hardly learnt anything.