Electric scooters

single

Visit site
I was chatting to a guy in the marina who had a Maf Evolution electric scooter. He said its road legal, does about 30mph and about 20 mile range. Has anyone else got one or know much about them? I'm quite tempted but which one?

View attachment 52598

Last edited:

Mrnotming

Visit site
Ah! What does the chap mean by the weasel words "Road Legal" .
Of course it can be road legal,with proper insurance etc.
If it was to be regarded as an electric bicycle,or more properly,PEDELEC, it must achieve its assistance only when the pedals are operated,and not by means of a throttle control,which if operational,would change a pedelec's status to insurable vehicle,and applicable road traffic acts.
We have two pedelec's neither of which has a throttle control.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Yes I've got one .... looks identical to the one in your picture ... they come with several different names and decals but are all the same make ... excellent up hill and down dale with my 15 stone aboard, goes better on hard surfaces, tarmac and concrete but doesn't like going uphill on grass for some reason ... will do steep hills on tarmac. Also quite fast, possibly 25 mph. I use the seat but you can take it off and stand up to drive it. Battery life is good, probably the 20 miles you quote and doesn't take long to recharge. Very heavy if lifting it in and out of my Range Rover ... needs two people. Alas, definitely NOT legal on the road whatever your friend says ... also electric bikes and scooters in the UK are limited to 200 watts to be legal ... this is 1000 watts!

single

Visit site
As usual eBay sellers are being very misleading. Quite a few are saying it will be issued with a certificate of conformity and a v55/5 to fill out and for £55 it will be Road legal!!.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
As usual eBay sellers are being very misleading. Quite a few are saying it will be issued with a certificate of conformity and a v55/5 to fill out and for £55 it will be Road legal!!.

Don't fall for this one .... they are very good contraptions for getting around on if you're not too stable on your pins - arthritis in my case. Whatever anyone says they are NOT legal on the road ... I use it at motor race meetings for getting around the paddocks and car parks etc and at home where I've got a long drive, nipping down to fetch the post. I use it on a wide cycle track in France to get from my marina berth to the supermarket but this is separated from the road by about 10 feet so that's as near as I get to a road out and about. They really are not legal so don't buy one to use on the roads.

single

Visit site
Shame really. Looked like a handy gadget to keep on the boat. Our government are sooo boring! I suppose if I didn't have a driving licence I would just do it anyway, but I have so.....

Alpha22

Visit site
In the UK, Bicycles must be under 200W, tricycles must be under 250W and neither is permitted to exceed 15mph. This keeps it legal for anyone 14/+ years on the road with no licence, tax, insurance or even helmet!!

Think Sinclair C5.... remember them??? (I've still got mine!!)