Electric fuel pump

zoidberg

Visit site
I'm fettling a new Beta 14 engine for service and find the manual fuel priming pump is inaccessible, due to Special Engine Feet blocking access. I'm mulling over fitting a small electrical fuel pump versus a rubber 'squeezy' bulb, to aid priming.
Experience? Opinions? Warnings...?

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com

B27

Visit site
Rubber priming bulb works really well, good control over filling the CAV for losing minimum diesel out of the bleed vent. Because the tank and bulb are in a cockpit locker, and the engine is 'downstairs' it's easier to have a second person pump the bulb when filling the engine filter, or use the priming lever on the lift pump.
Because it's hard to reach the bulb and bleed screw at the same time.

I'm told you'll get away with just 'mostly' filling the engine filter with clean diesel before fitting, the engine will tolerate a little air in the system.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I fitted a rubber priming bulb to my engine to help bleeding in the feed from my tanks

I also have an electric fuel pump but tend to use the bulbs as you can feel the pressure better

srm

Visit site
My fuel tank is in a deep bilge. I was concerned that when low the lift pump might struggle with the long run and lift. I put an electric pump in line at the lowest point in the feed pipe (top take off from the tank). At times I have started the engine without the electric pump on without problem so fuel flows through it OK. It also helps with priming the last of three filters (the first two are primed by gravity from a small header tank in the injector return circuit but not enough fuel/pressure for the engine filter).
On one occasion the engine did not stop with the switch while the electric pump was running - it only happened the once and has worked OK since. I try to remember to turn the electric pump off before stopping the engine, but often forget - it has its own switch away from the engine panel.
The pump was from ebay.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
My fuel tank is in a deep bilge. I was concerned that when low the lift pump might struggle with the long run and lift. I put an electric pump in line at the lowest point in the feed pipe (top take off from the tank). At times I have started the engine without the electric pump on without problem so fuel flows through it OK. It also helps with priming the last of three filters (the first two are primed by gravity from a small header tank in the injector return circuit but not enough fuel/pressure for the engine filter).
On one occasion the engine did not stop with the switch while the electric pump was running - it only happened the once and has worked OK since. I try to remember to turn the electric pump off before stopping the engine, but often forget - it has its own switch away from the engine panel.
The pump was from ebay.
Does it not stop on back pressure? Both of those I listed do.

jonathanhsm

Visit site
I've had a Facet pump for a decade ... still going strong. And as belt and braces I also have an inline squeezy bulb - useful when bleeding after filter change.
I bypassed the engine fuel lift pump which was misbehaving yonks ago- and have never got round to fixing it!

In any case engine will run through gravity with pump turned off ..as tank is higher up.

srm

Visit site
I'm fettling a new Beta 14 engine for service and find the manual fuel priming pump is inaccessible, due to Special Engine Feet blocking access. I'm mulling over fitting a small electrical fuel pump versus a rubber 'squeezy' bulb, to aid priming.
Experience? Opinions? Warnings...?
Do you have room to fit a small header tank in the injector return line above the filters for gravity feed? It can then be teed into the fuel line between tank and first filter. Shut off valves so the header tank normally overflows to the fuel tank, but can be turned on to run into the fuel line with fuel line closed between tee and the tank. Makes filling and bleeding the filters after a change easy, just open each bleed screw in turn.
Remember to switch the valves back to main tank afterwards though.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Facet pumps are available in a huge variety of flow rates, fitting sizes, and, importantly, can be obtained either with or without a non-return valve. Height of which each model can prime to is specified. In your case a non-return valve would be an advantage, as the fuel wouldn't drop back into the bilge tank when you open the fuel filter.

e.g. (other suppliers available) Facet Fuel Pump | Solid State Electric | Fuel Pumps SALE UK

zoidberg

Visit site
Do you have room to fit a small header tank in the injector return line above the filters for gravity feed?
I'm afraid I don't, 'srm', for space is very limited and my 'paired' filters - mounted on the sidewall for ease of access - preclude.

The other sidewall 'demounts' to permit a younger, more flexible me to squirm into quasy-access to the gearbox, shaft, and rear end bits.

But thanks....

Reactions: srm

jdc

Visit site
Another vote for Facet. Beware the suppliers are crap and dont know the specs (most say lift height 120 inches ( = 0.3m [sic]) so get things out be a factor of 10). What you want for a diesel in a boat is low output pressure (less than 4.5psi is good) and good lift height (so 36" is good, 12" too little).

The one I use is FACET Solid State Fuel Pump 3.0 - 4.5 psi [Built-in Check Valve] 40288. This vendor, by contrast, doesn't understand that there might be a difference between product height and lift height. Really, are all automotive nuts morons?

Last edited:

WoodyP

Visit site
I have two facet pumps which lift from keel tanks. Excellent result when the engine pump couldn't cope. A useful addition to the fuel system is an inline filter before the facet pump.

pandos

Visit site
I use a facet posiflo. Great for bleeding and changing filters. You can use two hands (one for the rag and one for the spanner) and all your focus whilst bleeding the system right up to the injection pump. Cannot understand why more folks don't use them.

Not sure if mine includes a check valve but it certainly let's fuel flow without being powered up. It lifts at least 100cm and pushes about another 50cms.

Mine is fitted between the two filters..

FYI when I bought the boat one was already fitted, the surveyor for the previous prospective purchaser recommended it be removed....(not replaced)

B27

Visit site
One reason more people don't fit Facet or similar pumps for priming is that they are a significant restriction to fuel supply when not running. That gives the engine lift pump a hard time, especially on a motor which circulates significant fuel back to the tank. If you need to change a filter at sea or in a hurry, it's filling the first filter which is the issue, that's more simply and cleanly done with a priming bulb before it. You then don't need to bleed anything after the CAV.

jonathanhsm

Visit site
If lift pump is bypassed with electric pump - Facet or otherwise - does the panel recommend the pump is installed before or after the primary fuel filter ?
Seems to be a hotly contested topic on the interweb.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
My electric pump and prime bulb are fitted between the tank shut off valve and before the primary filter so I can prime / bleed the primary first the my secondary filter