Electric BBQ Cleaning

J12345T

Visit site
Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck in cleaning their electric BBQ's? The new boat has one of these:-

I've tried many methods to clean it but none really do the trick. It is a PITA to be honest. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

James.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
On old boat we had a sink next to it with a cold water tap so just a bit of Fairy & a sponge / scourer. New boat has same set up so have had hot water connected, so now no problem, a couple of minutes tops.

jrudge

Visit site
They last most of a season. Quick rinse.

When done get the next one out.

It makes a huge difference!

There is no difference in the food unless it is very fatty and then it sits in the oil - but most foods are not like that.

kashurst

Visit site
oops did see the pic properly. I would change it to a flat glass unit - really easy to clean, but you don't get stripes on your steaks.

J12345T

Visit site
Thanks All,

Yes the stripes are the problem as its a complete PITA to get into each and every groove. And even then the mess doesn't really come off.

I wonder if its possible to swap it out for a gas unit..

Cheers,

James.

MapisM

Visit site
Forgive me if you will not be happy to hear this suggestion, but the easiest way to tackle this problem, which happens to be also the best for your health, is to avoid using the BBQ altogether.
In fact, It is by now widely recognized that this cooking method is by far the worst for AGEs accumulation.
Btw, being at the moment in your (beautiful!) Country, where almost everybody seem rather careful about any health-related matters, I was surprised to see how popular the BBQ still is, and how practically unknown its side effects still are.
Not to mention the BBQ selection which is on display at Mitre, Bunnings etc., which is nothing short of amazing, and with some models big enough to cook a whole cow on them! :rolleyes:
Just as one of many explanations that you can find on the web, this webpage gives a rather straightforward explanation of what I'm talking about.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Forgive me if you will not be happy to hear this suggestion, but the easiest way to tackle this problem, which happens to be also the best for your health, is to avoid using the BBQ altogether.
In fact, It is by now widely recognized that this cooking method is by far the worst for AGEs accumulation.
Btw, being at the moment in your (beautiful!) Country, where almost everybody seem rather careful about any health-related matters, I was surprised to see how popular the BBQ still is, and how practically unknown its side effects still are.
Not to mention the BBQ selection which is on display at Mitre, Bunnings etc., which is nothing short of amazing, and with some models big enough to cook a whole cow on them! :rolleyes:
Just as one of many explanations that you can find on the web, this webpage gives a rather straightforward explanation of what I'm talking about.

Yup everything people enjoy is supposedly bad for them. For years too many eggs were bad...…….. Not now apparently...…….. Why should we believe and what should we believe

MapisM

Visit site
Just in case it wasn't already clear, I couldn't be more far from pretending that the OP or anyone else should throw their grills overboard.
All I'm saying is that this AGEs thing is not as well known as it should, so I thought it was worth mentioning in this context.

Otoh, everyone and their dog know that most fast food is total junk, but that doesn't seem to stop many folks from eating it.
You pays your money… :rolleyes:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Just in case it wasn't already clear, I couldn't be more far from pretending that the OP or anyone else should throw their grills overboard.
All I'm saying is that this AGEs thing is not as well known as it should, so I thought it was worth mentioning in this context.

Otoh, everyone and their dog know that most fast food is total junk, but that doesn't seem to stop many folks from eating it.
You pays your money… :rolleyes:

Or the thread was about how to clean a BBQ and you came on yacking about health and AGE's...…… Perhaps the OP just wanted to know how to clean his BBQ.

You also seem to assume that most Fast Food is Junk..... Many would not agree

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
One of the things I am looking forward to this summer after surgery is my favourite rolled rib of beef on the Weber spit roast, no nothing is going to put me off.
Amongst all my fun I contracted an infection that can damage the heart, which resulted in scans of said organ, tip top, one of the few bits that is, so no Ill effects so far.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Or the thread was about how to clean a BBQ and you came on yacking about health and AGE's...…… Perhaps the OP just wanted to know how to clean his BBQ.
Well, that's a way to see it, I suppose.
Now, could you remind me in which way your objection to my yacking contributed to sort the cleaning issue? :ambivalence:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Well, that's a way to see it, I suppose.
Now, could you remind me in which way your objection to my yacking contributed to sort the cleaning issue? :ambivalence:

In my world if someone askes how to clean a BBQ they don't want health advice. It is simple just answer the question asked