Edinburgh Marina

Thistle

Visit site
At the 2019 Southampton Boat Show I picked up details of the Edinburgh Marina, tried emailing them a few weeks back but no response.

Has anybody in the capital heard if they plan to open this year as I'm planning a spend a few days visiting the Malt Whisky Society ??? and family.

I happened to be down that way this morning. As the photos show, it seems more like a property development exercise than anything to do with boats. Royal Forth YC appeared unchanged.
1676477456919.png

1676477516527.png

1676477485207.png

Frogmogman

Visit site
My parents met at Port Edgar.

HM Submarine Tally Ho, of which my Dad was First Lieutenant, was based there in 1954 after completing the Royal Navy’s first fully submerged transatlantic. That’s him, aged 26 bringing her alongside at the end of the trip.

9DF6F8DE-0558-43EF-A223-D3A55BD8D015.jpeg

Tally Ho’s Captain was Canadian, so my grandfather, a retired Captain RN of Newfoundland origin who lived the other side of the Forth, wrote to ask if he could bring some houseguests to visit the sub, and so my Ma met the handsome No1.

FWIW, his next ship, his first command, was a brand new minesweeper, HMS Brinkley, also conveniently based at Port Edgar, though he appeared to spend most of his time trawling for mines off Harwich.

Last edited:

awol

Visit site
I popped down to PE last Sunday to pick up something from the Bosun's locker. Car park was crowded with gawpers at a multi-coloured selection of Porsches, lots and lots of Land-Rovers littered about, café was full of cyclists, Bosun's Locker looked like a clothes shop. No sign of any sailing activity.

Thistle

Visit site
I popped down to PE last Sunday to pick up something from the Bosun's locker. Car park was crowded with gawpers at a multi-coloured selection of Porsches, lots and lots of Land-Rovers littered about, café was full of cyclists, Bosun's Locker looked like a clothes shop. No sign of any sailing activity.

Plenty of folk working away quietly on boats on the hard, as far from the car park as possible. I didn't notice what make(s) of cars were being shown off in the car park but there did seem to be some competition as to who had the loudest exhaust; I hope they all paid their car park fees. Good to see the café busy on a day when they wouldn't have had much business from sailors and, although I'm not a user of that end of the shop, it's good to see Bosun's Locker making an effort to expand their customer base. It's also good to see the Land Rover business doing well but I do agree that a little more control over their parking wouldn't go amiss.

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
My parents met at Port Edgar.

HM Submarine Tally Ho, of which my Dad was First Lieutenant, was based there in 1954 after completing the Royal Navy’s first fully submerged transatlantic.
I am pretty sure HMS Andrew holds that record when she crossed in 1953. First submarine I ever boarded.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I am pretty sure HMS Andrew holds that record when she crossed in 1953. First submarine I ever boarded.
Thanks for the correction. My dad always used to describe it as the first successful submerged crossing, the Andrew having broken down (see his account, as told to my Aunt a few years ago). I have already pointed out to her that the “without using snorkels” line is nonsense.

Having looked it up, it appears that the Andrew’s breakdowns were fixed whilst still submerged. Just goes to show how careful one must be with verbal testimony.ACB81D1E-69DF-4288-9D1F-2939F7C9AD9F.jpeg

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
In any event that is quite a feat of endurance. At least in my job I could use the periscope which even if there was nothing much to see was a relief. We rarely stayed dived for long periods unlike the nuclear boats.

Last edited:

wallacebob

Visit site
Slight diversion; walked along Union Canal today. Winchburgh “Marina” complete, flats in final stages, some ready to occupy. Developer hoarding is actually realistic! You will need to drop your mast tho’. New M/way junction open, shops open, lots of leisure development in hand. For young families would be attractive with new schools built. A success? Surely not!

Attachments

• FB26B4B6-6867-4B3B-9BCD-E608F762EC85.jpeg
    FB26B4B6-6867-4B3B-9BCD-E608F762EC85.jpeg
    759.3 KB · Views: 16
  • E00879FA-6987-4DE8-B48D-931334A0DC0B.jpeg
    E00879FA-6987-4DE8-B48D-931334A0DC0B.jpeg
    864.5 KB · Views: 15
  • C35CC94B-22A4-489F-9726-E9ACDBB2307A.jpeg
    C35CC94B-22A4-489F-9726-E9ACDBB2307A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

dgadee

Visit site
Those flats are so dull and lacking. Designed by a 7 year old?

On the other hand, good to see development on the canal.

KeithMD

Visit site
Thanks for the correction. My dad always used to describe it as the first successful submerged crossing, the Andrew having broken down (see his account, as told to my Aunt a few years ago). I have already pointed out to her that the “without using snorkels” line is nonsense.

Having looked it up, it appears that the Andrew’s breakdowns were fixed whilst still submerged. Just goes to show how careful one must be with verbal testimony.View attachment 151280

Looks like a fascinating read - is that book available anywhere?

JimGlass

Visit site
More than a bit unfair about Port Edgar and the Bosun's Locker - sure there's a big clothes chop in there too (not a bad thing if it brings in the punters and cash!) but there's a pretty decent chandlery - and given the lack of competition from anywhere else, they're well priced and stocked.
You've also got two rigging companies, a diesel engineering company, sheet metal workers, electronics co, sailmakers - and that's apart from the sailing school, cadets, rowing club, and yacht club. Did you actually go beyond the car park?

wallacebob

Visit site
Got to agree. I used to be a bertholder 10 year ago, excellent staff, grumpy boaties . Came back this year for crane in of new boat and weeks pontoon. Excellent service, and cheerful bertholders chatting to me. More choice in chandlery, food choice improved. Busy and upbeat. Less “dead” boats, more activity. I might be tempted off my swing mooring!