Eco-Worthy LiFePo batteries

Kelpie

Visit site
Running a trolling outboard motor. Friend of mine reckons he gets 2 miles from a fully charged 30AH.
Check the max continuous current draw. Most LFP batteries can only draw 1c (i.e. 30A for a 30Ah battery) which is not enough for the more powerful trolling motors. My Bison 88 draws about 60A.

geem

Visit site
LifePO4 batteries all have a good lifespan but unlike lead, you can easily kill them completely.

Ecoworthy are basically the cheapest you can get, and come with a fairly simple BMS. Chances are it'd be fine, but I have a Fogstar Drift 280ah 12v battery on order. They appear very well made and have a premium BMS.

Lithium Leisure Battery - Fogstar Drift 12v 280Ah
The Fogstar is a great battery for your domestic banks. The OP is looking for something to run a trolling motor. Totally different need

Kelpie

Visit site
LifePO4 batteries all have a good lifespan but unlike lead, you can easily kill them completely.
If the BMS does its job and doesn't have parameters set to silly values, then it's very hard to kill an LFP.
Whereas lead acid has no such protection and can be shorted, run flat, overcharged, etc with generally fatal consequences.

geem

Visit site
If the BMS does its job and doesn't have parameters set to silly values, then it's very hard to kill an LFP.
Whereas lead acid has no such protection and can be shorted, run flat, overcharged, etc with generally fatal consequences.
The way I see it is they both have advantages and disadvantages. Lead will take an over charge and still survive. Lithium won't. That's why they need a BMS. Even in the best lithium batteries, a BMS can fail and they do fail.
For the OP using a trolling motor, the lithium will be a good solution just using the settings in the BMS. Ta,ing the battery home to charge on a lithium charger would make sense

Kelpie

Visit site
The way I see it is they both have advantages and disadvantages. Lead will take an over charge and still survive. Lithium won't. That's why they need a BMS. Even in the best lithium batteries, a BMS can fail and they do fail.
For the OP using a trolling motor, the lithium will be a good solution just using the settings in the BMS. Ta,ing the battery home to charge on a lithium charger would make sense
You can damage/kill lead acid through sheer human error- you don't need any equipment to fail in order to do it.
LFP can only be damaged if the BMS itself fails.

Btw what are the common failure modes for BMSs? I would assume that is almost impossible to have a dead short for example.

geem

Visit site
You can damage/kill lead acid through sheer human error- you don't need any equipment to fail in order to do it.
LFP can only be damaged if the BMS itself fails.

Btw what are the common failure modes for BMSs? I would assume that is almost impossible to have a dead short for example.
Most people seem to fit drop in lithium on boats. If the bms fails, you may get a dead battery. I know this has happened to some battleborn batteries.
You need a backup system unless you can cut the top off the battery and bypass the BMS

NBs

Visit site

Ecoworthy are basically the cheapest you can get, and come with a fairly simple BMS. Chances are it'd be fine, but I have a Fogstar Drift 280ah 12v battery on order. They appear very well made and have a premium BMS.

Lithium Leisure Battery - Fogstar Drift 12v 280Ah
How do you see the fact that eco worthy is inferior to BMS. EW-280A lifepo4 battery bsm is 250A / peak current 850A-10s, not bad...

Lithium Battery丨Battery Management System (BMS) Explained

And video Fogstar 105A vs eco worthy 100A

fredrussell

Visit site
Interesting that the price listed for the Eco-worthy was £529 when the vid above was made (don’t know when) - same battery is less than half that price now.

NBs

Visit site
Interesting that the price listed for the Eco-worthy was £529 when the vid above was made (don’t know when) - same battery is less than half that price now.
Good point, sarcastically, whether its quality is now half as bad or good for as it used to be with the "expensive" lifepo4 eco worthys 😁.

Eco worthy differs from other cheap batteries in that they also have product development, own cell manufacturing, possibly bms is also theirs, not sure about this. Eco worthy has 16 patents on the subject and well over 10 years in business, if they were generally bad, could the company survive without changing brands?

Competition is fierce and we consumers can benefit from this.