Echosounder transponder

BigLes

Visit site
Just bought a boat and it has an old Stowe echosonder. We are replacing it with a NASA Clipper, however the Clipper transponder is the type that is installed inside the hull and sounds out through the GRP hull. The old Stowe one protrudes through the hull.

Question - can the Clipper transponer be fitted through the hull, or is it better to fit the Clipper in a new position? Should I leave the old transponder in place, or remove it and make the hole good with GRP? If left in place will it affect the new transponder?

Thanks for any replies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Wooden Boat owners use Clipper in "though hull" mode, with a fairing to protect the part that sticks through, so there is no reason why you should not do the same if you want to. I regret I cannot comment on the relative size of the two transducers or whether you can swap one for the other without modification.

You can glass in the old area or just leave the Stowe tranducer in place, personally I think the fewer holes in the bottom of the boat the better, but it's one way of filling the hole.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

davehu

Visit site
I think the old Stowe transducer will work with your new clipper unit. If the old system was working why dont you try it. Saves the problem of fitting a new unit

<hr width=100% size=1>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Not if it's operating at 200Khz, see ChrisL's post above. Earlier models might. Nasa is 150 Khz.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

gjgm

Visit site
leave the old transducer where it is, and fit the new one inside the hull. There a few older posts on this, but pop the new transducer into a plastic bag of water and test the location on the bottom of the hull to be sure you arent getting any disturbed water on the underside of the hull messing up the reading of the new kit. Use slow epoxy to fit it in position, but note that slow epoxy is quite runny, so you may need to make a plasticine wall around the transducer to stop it all flowing away. Give it a couple of twists down into the hull to ensure there is no air in the epoxy. It very very easy in fact... I have two working transducers right next to each other with no problem, but just check before glueing in place....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Niander

Visit site
my echo sounder is ok when not moveing or moveing slowly but when sailing at speed it goes crazy showing lots of readings...is this normal?

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Les,

Less holes in the hull = less to worry about: given your choices I would fit the new transducer inside and fill the hole left by the old unit the next time you lift out.

The plastic bag full of water is a good test method, you may have to spread a little water on the floor to remove any air between the bag and floor to get a good result.

An off cut of PVC pipe stuck to the hull with some blue tack will provide a good dam for the resin.

Good luck and avagoodweekend.....

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

BigLes

Visit site
I would imagine yo have water turbulence under the transponder - could be bubbles created by the water flow. Suggest you try the transponder in different places (see other posts in this thread) to get the best results.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
I was just wondering why you have 2 transponders - is it to allow for the heel of the boat on different tacks ?
I am fitting out a traditional long keel hull (Trintella 29) and there is no position on the hull where there is less than about 30 degrees off the horizontal. Does this mean I must use 2 transponders ? (like in the old days) Will one work at this angle ? I did ask NASA but did not get a convincing reply.
Thanks,
Ken

<hr width=100% size=1>

BigLes

Visit site
How do I find out if it's a 150 or 200Khz?

The Stowe is a Micro 200 (which one would assume menas it's a 200Khz?). Do we know for sure what the NASA Clipper works on 150 or 200?

<hr width=100% size=1>