Eberspacher problems

G

Does anyone have any idea why my eberspacher heating unit will not start. The fan works, but when I set the thermostat to start the heater up the green and red lights come on,then after 3 seconds it stops all together. I was told it could be low voltage , however the batteries are new. Has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you solve it? Thanks

G

Eberspatch need 13 volts to start up. Unless your on shore power, or running engines. it will drain your batteries in no time.

Other than that.

I've had the same problem as you. But cant remember what caused it. Maybe trouble with the relays.

G

could also be a fuel blockage causing the unit to switch off but more likely what Haydn said.

G

Just fixed the same problem on mine! It is a faulty control box. That's the metal one which is mounted beside the two relays. If you look for a breaker of commercial vehicles you might be able to get one off a lorry that has the same system.

G

Did it trip out the last time you used it? The reset button is normally on the unit itself. Apart from low voltage and faulty contact box, could be burner needs servicing (it cokes up over time) or faulty thermostat

Attachments

• 3102.jpg
    3102.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3103.jpg
    3103.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3105.jpg
    3105.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • 3106.jpg
    3106.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3108.jpg
    3108.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3109.jpg
    3109.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3110.jpg
    3110.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3111.jpg
    3111.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1
G

Similar symptoms to the fault I had which turned out to be a broken glow plug. The plug is lurking under the rubber gromithalf way along one edge. Two spanners, one to take the lead off, and one to undo the plug, all can be done hopefully with the unit still in place. Do not poke anything into the hole as there is a fine mesh that is fixed inside that fits around the glowing part of the plug. Good luck.

G

Paul, there are a number of things that could cause this, some as mentioned above.

It could be under or over voltage, however they should start at 11V [not 13 as mentioned] the upper limit is 14.6V.

The glow plug could be duff which shuts the system down when the relay for it is thrown - this happens approx 5 seconds after the fan is started.

It could also be the control unit. I would suggest that if you know someone with the same heater, borrow their control box and see if it cures the problem. They are easy to switch over with their simple plug connectors.

Although your heater may need de-coking, this will not cause the symptoms you are describing.

The over heat switch will also not cause this problem.

There could also be a short on the fuel pump which is switched on at the same time as the glow plug. A lack of fuel, say from a blocked filter will not cause your symptoms.

A faulty thermostat will not cause the problem, it either turns on the heater or it dosen't.

If there are any other clues you didn't mention, let us know!

Regards Mark

G

I agree with all the above but are you sure that it will start with only 11 volts - it may run at that level but almost certainly needs more to start when the glow plug takes a lot of power.

G

The system has an undervoltage sensor which I think cuts the system out at about 10.6v. With the glow plug it's amps that count and they draw approx 15amps. Obviously if the system is attached to a feeble battery that won't help!

G

I had a similar problem due to lack of servicing by previous owner. If the unit (D3LC) has a problem starting for a variety of causes e.g low battery, overheat, fuel blockage, water in fuel, etc, or the ignitor and very importantly the associated filter screen fitted in the plug hole is coked up, the unit will shut down and register a "fault" in the control box. Register 5 "faults" and the unit is put permanantly out of action and can only be sorted by an engineer resetting the box with an electric gizzmo, or by taking the expensive opton of buying a new one.

If you suspect that the heater is not going to fire up first time, perhaps because you have got air into the fuel line or whatever, switch the unit on and listen to the fuel pump ticking. If the ticking stops because of an unsucessful start after about 90 secs, switch it off before it starts a second attempt. The unit fan will continue to run for a short while to blow out the unburnt fuel. If you switch the unit back on again and have another go, the control box will not count the previous attempt as a failure. A "fault" is only registered after 2 consecutive failures - remember 5 "faults" and you are OUT.

I have wired a 12v led in parallel with the fuel pump circuit to monitor the pump operation - saves listening to the ticking.

Hope this is of use

G

Paul, have you had it serviced recently,,because if the glow plug has gone it will give that response. Theres also a small gause arrangement which the fuel is injected into, if this is gone the unit won't fire, theres also a small thermocouple which should be checked best of luck

G

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. In the end I have had the local eberspacher dealer service the unit and guess what ? You were all right ! Most of the parts needed replacing for probably the first time in the 10 year hsitory of the boat ! New wick, new glow plug and general service. Thanks again for the advice.