Eberspacher mounting

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
It seems they were originally designed for through floor mounting.

I believe this is inadvisable for a boat.

The Hydronic I have, indicates a possibility of a 90° rotation (i.e. with the combustion air inlet horizontal (although it is not clear)).

Anybody installed and run one upside down? I.e. with the exhaust and combustion inlet pointing upwards?

Would be much more convenient.

Minchsailor

Visit site
Any condensation in the hoses would run into the combustion chamber.

+1. Having worked for decades on combustion processes (although, think power stations and chemical plants, rather than boat heaters), acid condensation is a killer. I suspect incorrect installation is major reason behind some of the reliability issues reported.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Upside down, according to Eberspacher's installation instructions.
The instructions I have relate to the Hyrdronic which may be different from the Airtronic but do not specifically preclude upside down. Even it the exhaust hose exits horizontally (as permitted), action needs to be taken to divert the condensate return. If condensation is the only problem (albeit a serious one), there should be a solution.

CLB

Visit site
It usually has something like "maximum of 90 degrees from vertical with exhaust down" in the instructions, but feel free to give it a go and let us know how it works out. It might be fine ;)

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Why
Why? It seems likely that if everyone does it that way they have learned from experience.
But they don't. There are several options. In my mind, on a boat, exhaust upwards could be useful - saves bends for instance. I asked the question in innocence and the answers have been useful. I will give it a go on the bench.

Now the glowpin at the top. What is the reason for that?

JerryHawkins

Visit site
So what happens to the exhaust after leaving the outlet? Must it head downwards?

I believe there are solutions to condensation diversion. Thermostatically operated butterfly valve?
I fitted mine in the usual upright position with exhaust and combustion air intake pointing downwards. I have the 90 degree exhaust elbow (with condensate drain) and the exhaust leads upwards from there under the gunwale then bends downwards to wards the hull fitting outlet.

JerryHawkins

Visit site
The drain cannot be closed. It has a coil of copper pipe which acts like a u-bend on a sink. Gravity allows any water to flow round the bends and out but there's not enough pressure in the exhaust to force it out, it would seem; so there's always water in the bends keeping the gas in. I guess if the exhaust became obstructed then it would force water out and the exhaust gas would follow. Not had an issue in many years of use.

Minchsailor

Visit site
…………and be evaporated?

The water would be, but combustion concentrate is quite a complex mixtures of acids - sulphuric, nitric, hydrochloric and so on. Evaporation will concentrate these. Although maritime diesel fuel is a 'relatively' clean fuel (and white diesel more so) compared to others (try the condensate from the smoke stack of a brickworks - I have seen a pH of less than 2!) it is significant. Made worse by the probability of the heater running at low power when it is switched off, so the exhaust quite cool.