Eberspacher Install?

kdf

Visit site
I'm about to (try and) install an Eberspacher Airtronic D4 heater in my boat (Yes I know it's Summer) and while I think I understand how it all works I'm a little unsure of the fuel tank connection. Basically there's a standpipe that must be inserted into the existing tank but it has a rectangular plate at the top through which the standpipe passes. The standpipe itself is only about 4mm but the plate is about 2cm x 3cm.

Question - Do I need to cut out an equivelent peice in the top of the fuel tank to accept this plate and if so how? I can't see how a punch would work without getting access to the inside of the tank.

Anyone ever installed these things before?

Thanks - Kevin

BOBBIN

Visit site
Yes twice, but I have to admit that on both occasions, I did not use the connection supplied, but "T'd" into the existing fuel supply. These units have run for many years with no trouble.

kdf

Visit site
Aha! I thought about that. The install guide doesn't list it as an option but it sounded ok to me. Are there any issues with "reduced" fuel supply to either the heater or the engine if you do this?

Thanks - Kevin

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
When I installed my Eberspacher I Teed (T-ed?) into the engine fuel line downstream of the primary filter, although the instructions say don't do this. It has worked very well for two years.

I also took the electrical connections from the battery switch, not straight to the batteries, as I like to be able to isolate everything. The problem is that the programmer needs constant power to retain its memory, so I took a permanent wire through a 2A fuse for this purpose. Eberspacher tell you to connect direct to the batteries, but these instructions are really written for trucks, not boats, where different safety criteria apply.

kdf

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion on the electrical connections. Any restrictions/requirements on the type of t-connector I can use.

davidwf

Visit site
The reason the power supply is taken directly from the battery is ensure that the heater runs through its shutdown cycle. If you just cut the power when heater is running I believe it may well damage the heater. However if you are sure that nobody is going to cut the power then it will be ok.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Back to your original question, a small as possible slot is cut in the tank so the thin side of the washer can be inserted to the tank and twiddled round to make a good seal. Incidentlly , I would set up its own supply rather than tee off the main engine feed , for if the enging fuel filters get partly blocked air can be sucked back through the eberspacher pump , stopping the main engine, long before the filter is full of a normal amount of dirt. Also lift pump plusing from the engine can affect the delivery quantity from the eb pump leading lo smoking & early failure.

david

See my web site www.yachtman.co.uk

G

When I fitted my heater, I took the feed from my C.A.V main diesel filter. If you have one you will see that there are 2 inlets and 2 outlets, but only one of each is used on a normal engine installation, the others are "blanked off". If you dont have one may I suggest that whilst your fitting the heater you also fit an inline main filter with water trap, it saves a lot on the small filters fitted directly to the engine.

G

Kevin,,there is no problem with supplies. The erberspacher uses so little diesel that it will make no difference to your engine supply, plus by linking it to your main filter, you get a filtered diesel supply to your heater and the whole job is much neater. My installation is now 5 years old and I have never had a problem. best of luck with the installation
peter

kdf

Visit site
Everyone - thanks for all the great feedback. I'm going to tackle this at the weekend and use a lot of the ideas and suggestions from this thread.

Sure beats having to hand over £580 to the Eberspacher Agent for them to install it!

thanks,

G

Kevin,,best of luck for the w/end.BTW when I first installed my heater, I had to try starting it about 4-5 times before it actualy kicked in. Something to do with the programmer getting itself sorted into the correct sequence and getting the diesel up to heater.