Eberspacher control switch

Slinky Spring

Visit site
I have bought a D2 from Ebay. It does not have a control switch with it and the most basic ones are going on Ebay for nearly £30.
The general advice I have read is that you should run these units on full power and open the hatch if it gets too hot. If this is the case then is there any advantage to having a choice of settings. Should I just get a simple 12V switch for pennies. Are there any benefits to having the proper switch or should I go with the cheaper alternative?

pcatterall

Visit site
Buy the rotary switch, some are on ebay for £15 ( £30 is top end!!).
The heater is quite happy to run at low to medium settings over long periods.
Just provide minimum ventillation for your own comfort and to allow moisture to exit.
If you are worried that slow running on red deisel may carbon up the works then 24 hours running on parafin will clean up the inards!!

fireball

Visit site
Wot he said ^^^^^

But - you can test the unit by putting 12V on the yellow wire (with the eber big red and brown cables connected too*) - it does just run at full bore at this point.

* red & brown is from memory of our D3LC and may be different on a D2

Playtime

Visit site
Wot he said ^^^^^

But - you can test the unit by putting 12V on the yellow wire (with the eber big red and brown cables connected too*) - it does just run at full bore at this point.

* red & brown is from memory of our D3LC and may be different on a D2

You can connect the small red wire to the small yellow wire in the loom that would normally go to the control switch - at least you can on a D3LC. This turns the unit on. As Fireballs says above, you still need the 'big' (20A) red and brown wires connected.

I have done this on my D3LC with a simple on/off switch as the fancy Mini Timer/Controller has stopped working.

If you have a thermostat in the system this still works (at least it does on mine).

Put the on/off switch next to your bunk. :)

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
With the simple rotary switch the temperature sensor in the return air in the unit is activated. So if like me you take air from a locker or similar rather than from the saloon the unit will just push out hot air and eat up electricity. I changed ours for a digital switch with inbuilt temperature sensor. the result is the temperature in the saloon is now controlled and as it reachs the desired temperature the unit slows down and goes on tickover with very little drain on the battery. For the small extra cost well worth it