Ebay sprayhoods (sabre sails) - any experience?

Crinan12

Visit site
Has anyone had a sprayhood made from this company via ebay and if so how did it go?

I've read it's a bad idea to make one as a copy from exisiting, but the alternative is around £1100 from a local sail maker so was thinking of chancing it. The ebay one would be £475.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_173732_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_173732_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 45

Thresher

Visit site
Has anyone had a sprayhood made from this company via ebay and if so how did it go?

I've read it's a bad idea to make one as a copy from exisiting, but the alternative is around £1100 from a local sail maker so was thinking of chancing it. The ebay one would be £475.

Thanks
Yes, I have. It isn't a perfect fit. Slight ripple on the top and I had to reposition some of the poppers on the boat to match the new positions on the sprayhood. But for me, a saving of £400 was worth it. I can't see over my sprayhood easily so usually only put it up when it rains

Crinan12

Visit site
Yes, I have. It isn't a perfect fit. Slight ripple on the top and I had to reposition some of the poppers on the boat to match the new positions on the sprayhood. But for me, a saving of £400 was worth it. I can't see over my sprayhood easily so usually only put it up when it rains
Interesting thanks. What do you think of the general quality and were they okay to deal with?

sawduster

Visit site
Have got one of their eBay stackpacks. Took a while to arrive but the quality seems good and was £425 vs £800 for the cheapest alternative so quite pleased with it.

Cheapest sprayhood from scratch and also frame from a Solent based company was £1400 for a 34ft yacht. £1100 seems a bit steep for copying an existing design.

afterpegassus

Visit site

Almost identical experience. I had to make some alterations, but I would describe it as value for the money.

We are quite pleased with our Sabre sails spray hood, which we got 3 yrs ago. The price was very good at sub £400. It is well made, and the fit is reasonable.
I asked that they didn't fit the "lift the dot" fasteners, and I fitted them on the boat (easy to do with small hammer and piece of scrap wood). I wasn't perfect in doing this, so there are some creases in one of the windows. The reason for this is I'd seen other people having professionally fitted spray hoods, and the fitter would take out the old posts for lift the dot fixings, and then re-drill and re-fit them before filling the old holes with silicone. This wasn't an option for me.

Crinan12

Visit site
For anyone interested I got my sprayhood back from sabre sails
It ended up £450 including postage

It looks nice and well made and they were good to deal with

Wether it fits the boat well and turns out to be a good investment long term is another matter I suppose

Attachments

• IMG-20231128-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20231128-WA0006.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12