Eastern Solent racing...

farmerdan79

Visit site
...Firstly, is there any?

Secondly, as someone who has never raced (other than against the tide, desperately trying to get back to my drying mooring on the old boat...) What is the best way to get into it at a fairly informal level (ie, I don't have the ability to buy a brand new J boat...):D

thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Portsmouth Sailing club run the "Parhelion" spring and autumn series, the starts are generally just outside the entrance to Pompy harbour (near Gleeds) or just the other side of the Sub barrier. It's great fun, friendly people and a good way to get into racing without spending a lot of cash.

You can join in the Club class with a club handicap or if you want to play with the slightly more serious boats there are IRC classes.

I have done it for a few years starting at the back of the fleet and working our way up to winning the series overall a couple of times.

More info here http://www.portsmouthsc.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Seajet

Visit site
There's a group who organise cruiser racing from Chichester harbour who sound up your street, sorry I can never remember the name but someone will hopefully come up with it.

Mark-1

Visit site
...Firstly, is there any?

Secondly, as someone who has never raced (other than against the tide, desperately trying to get back to my drying mooring on the old boat...) What is the best way to get into it at a fairly informal level (ie, I don't have the ability to buy a brand new J boat...):D

thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Channel Sailing Club (www.channelsailingclub.org) run races that usually start just outside Portsmouth Harbour. Membership is £15 (I'm sure you wouldn't be asked for that at first) and the races are cruiser races run in the Corinthian spirit. It sounds exactly what you're looking for. They have a facebook presence if you have questions.

Tom Price

N/A
Visit site
[QUOTE=Seajet:
"There's a group who organise cruiser racing from Chichester harbour who sound up your street, sorry I can never remember the name but someone will hopefully come up with it"

That's CCRC = Chichester Cruiser Racing Club. Just Google for their programme & contact details. Also try H I S C = Hayling Island Sailing Club who run an Open series round Hayling Bay in the Autumn.

pompeyblue

Visit site
BUMP!!
Portsmouth Sailing Club's Spring 'Parhelion' Race Series starts on Sat 24 March 2018 and runs over five Saturday mornings..
This is a friendly, fun but competitive series for any class (handicaps to suit all!) with starts conveniently within 10 mins of Portsmouth Harbour Entrance. Typically two races are planned per Saturday morning, each lasting around 90 minutes with lots of marks and short legs; a perfect opportunity for competitive crews to hone their skills and a great introduction to racing for those less experienced. The series has grown from strength to strength over the past few years with around 15 boats competing but newcomers are very welcome so if you've a boat in and around the Eastern Solent and fancy getting involved go to www.portsmouthsc.co.uk for further details!