East Coast Moorings?

G

Hi there

Anyone know of any good deep water, non-drying moorings on the East Coast (Orwell to the Crouch, say). We're on a tight budget, so are looking for ... err ... value!

Many thanks in advance!

G

Just an idea although I do not moor there myself, but give the Harbourmaster at Brightlingsea a ring.

You have a nice 180 degree choice of Harwich etc going North and Kent and Burnham going south. You can do all these places in a tide if things go well.

Regards

chris505

Visit site
Hi
If you only want to borrow we may be away (depends on the weather) last week of June to 14th July 3weeks, We are on the river Deben on the East Coast. Deep water mooring No charge.

Chris

ChrisJ

Visit site
I have no idea about availability, but the places I would look at would include:

West Mersea - lots of facilities on land. Need a good dinghy as some moorings can be a fair distance away.
Brightlingsea - Facilities on land. I suspect they are totally full.
Tollesbury Marina - once you get down towards the main Blackwater there is deep water. Tricky access at mid to low tide, but the moorings can be in deep water.
Waldringfield - I suspect they are full.
Ramsholt - No facilities on land (i.e. could be cheaper), apart from somewhere to leave a dinghy. Lots of morrings, some of which can be some distance away. Tricky access to the sea at low to mid tea over the Deben bar.
Wrabness (just up river from Parkstone/Harwich). No facilities on land, but Shotley marina is close for fuel / water etc.

Who you contact for these, I have no idea!

Cheers, Chris

dbaldwin

Visit site
The River Deben is a beautiful river to keep a boat on but Ramsholt has a long waiting list and moorings through the boatyard at Waldringfield are probably all taken. (Ring Andrew Brown at Waldringfield Bt yard)
Pim Mill on the orwell is lovely if you dont mind the mud, tide always seems to be out! ( Ring Tony Ward , harbourmaster )

G

Chris

That's a very kind offer - many thanks, but I hadn't planned that far ahead yet! Hope you have a good cruise anyway.

We're actually after a permanent mooring, and were hoping for something a bit closer to London, although the Deben is such a nice river we were tempted.

Best wishes

Robin

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
,,,,,,, and finally,,,,, Heybridge Basin on the Blackwater
inexpensive, lets face it there are NO cheaper afloat alongside moorings anywhere on the east coast, no growth of weed or shellfish, choice of pubs, shower/laundry block, (mostly) nice people, shame about the new landlord in the top pub but you don't have to talk to him, Ben will insult you well enough once he gets to know you,,,,,,,,

Sniper

Visit site
You could try Jonathan Webb at Pin Mill. He has some underused deep water moorings at reasonable prices. They tend to be on the North side of the river, which is much better than the south - deeper water and less chance of your mooring being snatched in the rush for the 'Butt'