Earthquakes close to Preveza Greece.

whiteshythe

Visit site
Hi,
I note that there have been a number of Earthquakes in the Preveza region over the last few hours, the largest having a magnitude of 6.5 causing damage with reports of at least two people killed.
My boat is ashore in Cleopatra Yard.
To any forumites in that area, are there any reports of damage to yachts falling off their cradles?
I am awaiting news from the Yard.

Thanks,

Steve.

grafozz

Visit site
There have been , to date / time , 43 earthquakes since 0740 this morning in the Ionian , sadly 2 people have lost their lives in Lefakada and several buildings damaged .
The epicentre is in the Vassilikis area along the fault line .
we are still getting aftershocks , the last within the hour at Richter 4.0 close to Fiscado .

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
The mainland is luckily on a separate geological structure from Levkada island; Fiscardo is also partly insulated from the rest of Cephalinnia.

That's partly why Levkas town architecture (bar a few earthquake resistant large modern buildings) is two storey, with top floors mainly light corrugated sheet structure. Whereas in Fiscardo and Preveza towns, old style stone built houses with little earthquake resistance still survive.

You'll also notice that oil drums are often used as supports in the yard at Vliho bay entrance (see my web site front page picture). That's because the oil drums are springy. Yes, wooden props without lattice supports to locate them would be very risky!

Tony Cross

Visit site
The mainland is luckily on a separate geological structure from Levkada island; Fiscardo is also partly insulated from the rest of Cephalinnia.

That's not strictly accurate Jim. Lefkas (and all the Ionian islands) were created from the same nappe from which the rest of Greece was formed. Structurally Lefkas is similar to the mainland to the east (mostly hard limestones and marine sediment). All of Greece is very heavily faulted and the Ionian Islands are no exception. The major north-south faults lie est of Kafalonia and Zakinthos, separating them to some extent from the mainland, but they lie west of Lefkada. The plate boundary lies well to the west of the Ionian Islands and is predominantly a subduction zone, except where the plate boundary does a little zig-zag to the north of Kefalonia where it is a strike-slip fault. It's movement on this part of the plate boundary that causes such devastating earthquakes in Kefalonia, though it appears that the current crop of earthquakes are north of this zone.

http://seismos.gr/ is the best site to see detailed information on earthquakes in Greece. The book 'A Geological Companion to Greece and the Aegean' (ISBN 0 7156 2722 8) by Michael and Reynold Higgins, published in 1996 by Gerald Duckworth & Co Ltd. is an excellent introduction to the complex geology of Greece.