Early model Hydrovane self steering.

fredrussell

Visit site
Every now and then a cheap but old/obsolete model of a Hydrovane comes up for sale. I’m wondering if anyone knows if these older versions tend to wear out, and are/were these types less efficient than the modern offerings? Anyone on here using an old Hydrovane?

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Mine is c1993 - works as well nowadays as it ever did. I'm sure that there are bearings in the shaft that may require servicing (thinking bottom bearing). I know an instance where one of the vertical pins that transfer vane movement to rudder movement came unscrewed and dropped out. There are probably other bits of the mechanism that should be examined. Check the aluminium castings. I don't know whether Hydrovane offer a refurb service. They are marketed by the brand owners in Canada but still made in the UK (Nottingham) I believe.

Oh the vane covers degrade pretty quickly in strong UV and we always carried a spare so we could swop it and repair the other at our leisure. Easy enough to make with the old one as a pattern.

TiggerToo

Visit site
I have found the guys/lasses at Hydrovane an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I installed a very old system (bought second hand) and refurbished it myself by buying new pieces from them, with great help and advice. The set-up now works really well. The main "Upgrade" included a different specification of steel for the shaft, and a deeper rudder.

I understand that the latest offerings include slight modifications to the mechanisms. All of these are very well explained on their website - and by direct communication with them. I think they will be at SIBS, if you want to talk to them directly.

I can imagine the plastic may degrade in the UV, that is why I have sewn a cover to go over it when not in use.

Yes: their company is now officially in Vancouver (Can), but the "Bits" came from Nottingham.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Be careful of the size of older units.. A few, about 20 I think, were made for smaller yachts. I had one on an Elizabethan 30 where it worked fine. and transferred it to a Centurion32 where it didn’t! I tried putting a larger plywood vane on it but it was too heavy and would not balance. Only cured when carbon fibre came along: had a bigger lighter vane made which gave enough power to hold course. Sold it to chap with a Sabre 27. Very happy with it.