EA vs CaRT.

oldgit

Visit site
Scuttlebutt doing the rounds is that apart from the dowery needed to unload the troublesome Thames from the public purse, CaRT, prepared to take over the leisure side of the management ie. locks etc, was reluctant to get involved with the weirs and water control/supply which, in their opinion, should be the responsibility of the government under DEFRA.
It was not the job of a charity to be responsible for flood control or public water supply.
CaRT was also wary of the legacy of the somewhat depleted staff pension funding pot.

However believe half of what you see and nothing of what your hear. ? :)

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for. CRT are not exactly all smelling of roses at the moment.

I'm not wishing for anything.

Although I have lived on or close to the Upper Thames since 1971, I dont use it much these days. Last time I used an Inland Waterway was during our delivery trip from Gloucester Docks to Gosport. The Gloucester and Sharpness canal was excellent. There would be little complaint if the Thames was operated in the same manner. Mind you, the Ship Lock at Sharpness would cause a few brown trouser moments with some Thames weekend Admirals I am aquainted with....................

But I know plenty who do regularly use the Thames, and even more who use the CRT waterways.

On balance, the CRT lot seem happier.....................................

oldgit

Visit site
Seem to recall when a lock was U/S on a very vital section of the canal system, CaRT bought in a crane to lift barges across the lock ?

Gumpy

Visit site
Having said that the craning was early on in CaRT days, I doubt it would happen now and I doubt it would have happened anywhere else but Aylesbury due to a very influential canal society there.
I have been on CaRT waters for the last 40+ years and am now planning on going to EA waters as I don't like the way the canal system is changing to much emphasis on joggers,cyclists and other users not enough on boaters and keeping the system running for boats. EA Anglian by contrast seem to have a well maintained system where everything works, yes its a bit shallow in places but I can live with that.
I think it would mean the death of navigation for all except canoes if CaRT ever took over EA waters.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Having said that the craning was early on in CaRT days, I doubt it would happen now and I doubt it would have happened anywhere else but Aylesbury due to a very influential canal society there.
I have been on CaRT waters for the last 40+ years and am now planning on going to EA waters as I don't like the way the canal system is changing to much emphasis on joggers,cyclists and other users not enough on boaters and keeping the system running for boats. EA Anglian by contrast seem to have a well maintained system where everything works, yes its a bit shallow in places but I can live with that.
I think it would mean the death of navigation for all except canoes if CaRT ever took over EA waters.

I hear what you are saying, and as a regular canal boater since 1971 untill 2015 I have noticed a large increase in joggers, cyclists and walkers.

But surely this is just the way society has changed? How are the CRT responsible?

In the seventies the only joggers were training for sports events, the cyclists were going to and from work and the walkers possibly the same.

Today jogging, cycling and walking are fashionable-you can even buy special kit to tell you how you are doing!

The whole canal infrastructure has changed for the better in many cases and canals and their towpaths have become usefull and well used aminity for all.

I dont know how reliable the CRT website is, but I could not find any current closure notices on their waterways a few minutes ago.

Not sure I believe that................................

Parabordi

Visit site
CRT just wasted £60K+ on a new logo, Canal Users livid with the waste of money. Bazzer dont get any ideas!

oldgit

Visit site
Just for the record, my first narrow boat canal holiday was a trip round the Cheshire ring during the late 1970s.We were warned not to stop in certain sections near one particular town.
Of course ignored the advice and never had a problem, mind you there was 10 of us on the boat. :)
Suspect things where somewhat worse back then whatever todays complaints.
Some folks seem to think that our waterways are purely for their own personal benefit and appear to be somewhat irritated at having to share with the rest of the population.
They are there for all to enjoy no matter who your are or what your hobby.

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
Up until recently would have much preferred CART to take over the Thames, but recent emphasis on walkers etc & general rebranding, and their worrying policy re a preferred size of boat (as in 6' 10") means unfortunately it's better the devil you know, at least for the while.

Andy Soper

Visit site
Rotrax wrote:
I dont know how reliable the CRT website is, but I could not find any current closure notices on their waterways a few minutes ago.

Right on - the navigation stoppages with ‘ufn’ against them are-

Marple Flight (one lock repaired - others now collapsing inwards and preventing passage)
Marsh Lock - Weaver
Stainton Aqueduct - Lancaster canal
Rushall locks Walsall
Middlewood locks Bury and Bolton canal
Teese bridge - Wyreley and Essington
3 Mills - Prescott Channel
and the big one
Middlewich Breach - grand sum of £25K donated so far towards the millions neede to repair!

On the Thames most problems are fixed within hours - not days - nor until further notice (ufn)

The EA has vast resources and funds that can be deployed to keep the Royal river running.

The CRT grant could run out - and will certainly reduce after 2020.

Be careful what you wish for.........

EA may not be the carer of choice - but they sure are the best of a bad job.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
On the Thames most problems are fixed within hours - not days - nor until further notice (ufn)

The EA has vast resources and funds that can be deployed to keep the Royal river running.

EA may not be the carer of choice - but they sure are the best of a bad job.

Regrettably two pump outs out of order and one broken lock (Romney on hand wind when unattended) all UFN.

Vast resources and funds yes, but, as we are both only too well aware, not enough reaching the river to even cover basic service levels.

Best of a bad job ? Probably agree with you but river - and customers - deserve better.

Last edited: