How many unpaid licences? Not many.
Do they use moorings? No.
Pump out stations? No.
Locks? Sometimes, but not often.
Cause bank erosion from their wash? No.
Dump grey water into the river? No.
Use illegal sea toilets? No.

They are UNPOWERED craft.

Bikes pay NOTHING on the road. At least they are paying something....

Andrew M

Visit site
As a rower I personally feel that what I used to pay to licence my single scull individually, and what is paid now through the club scheme was and is reasonable. OK the Sealine was nigh on £700 for 2012 yet I also consider that to be fair bearing in mind the differences between the two craft.

If either rowing clubs or individual river users (powered or unpowered) were found to be evading licences than it is only correct that they should be brought ot task over it.

I consider that there are many other aspects of river boating that are damaging to the whole river system/users that could well do with being higher up on the EAs hit list, albeit that I am an EA advocate.

ianc1200

Visit site
What is really annoying is the rowers pay little to use the river yet treat the motorboaters with such disdain.

A Henley rower tried to crash his way through the Trad Rally boats a few years ago, a bit of shouting, some wag on the bank "Do you own the river?" & the rower replied "Yes!" Pretty typical of their attitude.

Visit site
£19 a boat is not enough. Period

+1, and that's before we discuss the injustice that is the situation when rowing regattas cause the 50% closure of he navigable river at no cost to clubs or rowers.

Or, to pick up on an earlier comment, triathlon and swimmathons cause the total closure of the river to all other (licence paying) users whilst their organisers paying nothing for this privilege and even make a profit on it!

Neither of he above can be right, surely.:confused:

EDIT: by river, I mean part of or stretch of, of course.

Ramage

Visit site
So logically we should press for non-payers (triathlons,swimathons, regattas) to pay up before complaining that some people who are paying are not paying enough....

ianc1200

Visit site
"when rowing regattas cause the 50% closure of he navigable river"

Surely far more like 75% and then the rowers going to the start line use the lane with motor boats in & curse them for not getting out of the way.

Chris_d

Visit site
Don't Regattas add to the spectacle, colour and character of the river, they hardly cause much inconveinence and are an interesting diversion to navigate past. Some of the anti rowing opinion on this forum is actually worse than what they are accusing the rowers of.

apollo

Visit site
Don't Regattas add to the spectacle, colour and character of the river, they hardly cause much inconveinence and are an interesting diversion to navigate past.

I call cordoning off 75% of the river (having paid zilch to do so) and the wash created by the umpires launches inconvenience...

If the personality of the people were a little less arrogant it would make life a little sweeter too...

apollo

Visit site
How many unpaid licences? Not many.
Do they use moorings? No.
Pump out stations? No.
Locks? Sometimes, but not often.
Dump grey water into the river? No.
Use illegal sea toilets? No.

They are UNPOWERED craft.

Bikes pay NOTHING on the road. At least they are paying something....

How many hours of use in an average year on the river...

Rower, sat and sun mornings all through the year, plus several days in the week as well.

I bet the ratio of use over the year rowers:mobos is 100:1.

Bunkum
Training launches - loads and loads.

Last edited:

apollo

Visit site

Zzzzzzz

boring-content.jpg

Last edited:

Ramage

Visit site
Yes, the launches are powered craft so cause wash.

If the rowers get more use its because they get up & get out there.

You cannot blame rowers for the mobo owners being idle.....

As for the rowers being arrogant, there are at least two "Blue flagged" mobo clubs who have very rude & arrogant members.
:D

apollo

Visit site
Yes, the launches are powered craft so cause wash.

If the rowers get more use its because they get up & get out there.

You cannot blame rowers for the mobo owners being idle.....

As for the rowers being arrogant, there are at least two "Blue flagged" mobo clubs who have very rude & arrogant members.
:D

Well someone has to pay for the river, they are already making the pips squeak on the mobos so why shouldnt the other group that use the river the most pay a bit more?

We will never agree but the money has to come from somewhere.

Where would you suggest?

These on the towpath?
283430905_f2d0d9689a.jpg

CJL

Visit site
I also think that £19 is too low.

They have a great opportunity to use the river as we all do and they are a substantial source of revenue.

Squeezing them a bit more, particularly when other licences are going up isn't going to kill them. £25 per boat is surely a bit more realistic?

CJL

TT_WO

Visit site
How many hours of use in an average year on the river...

Rower, sat and sun mornings all through the year, plus several days in the week as well.

I bet the ratio of use over the year rowers:mobos is 100:1.

Bunkum
Training launches - loads and loads.

Strange how many of you (with the exception of ADLS) think is is perfectly justifiable that an UNUSED motorboat kept in an adjacent water private marina should pay registration fees of hundreds of pounds ???????