EA Lock Volunteers

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Maybe I've not been paying attention or it never occurred o me there was something to know, but I discovered yesterday that volunteers only work 10am to 4pm and not the hours published in the Customer Charter.

Arrived at Boulters at 5pm to find 'Self Service' notice on display but regular lockie doing a sterling job getting a significant queue through downstream and several boats waiting to come up.
He had apparently put the notice on 'Self Service' to go for his tea break but didn't feel he could do so with so many boats waiting to get through.
Apparently there had been a volunteer earlier in the day but finished at 4pm.

This is really crazy and something I will be taking up through TMBA
The TMBA are also asking all boaters to report any lock service issues:
The TMBA would like to receive reports from boaters regarding lock service issues.

In addition to full time resident and relief lock-keepers, this year there are also temporary relief lock-keepers (seasonal contract), summer assistants (paid) and volunteers (unpaid) and it is sometimes difficult to know which is which!
We are particularly interested to receive reports of inadequate staffing, especially at weekends, as well as any other useful information such as the degree of co-operation from boaters when locks are on ‘Self Service’.

Please use the Information Reporting form on this website to report your experiences.

(PS Hope you got your cup of tea, Ralph.)

Last edited:

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
MAybe I've not been paying attention or it never occurred o me there was something to know, but I discovered yesterday that volunteers only work 10am to 4pm and not the hours published in the Customer Charter.

This is really crazy and something I will be taking up through TMBA
Hope you got your cup of tea, Ralph.

Nothing in the charter re volunteer duty hours - just that extra staff will be at specific locks. I also note the use of the word "target" in the hours table (98% for August). A target is something you aim at - and might miss:D

I guess that the volunteer 6hour day has something to do with laws concerning employment/volunteer working, etc.

Last edited:

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Boulters had self service on around 5pm on Saturday when we were on our way to Cookham as well.

If there is no assistant then you can expect self service from 1pm-2pm (lunch break) and 5pm to 5:30pm (tea break during peak summer hours).

Assistants and volunteers, once signed off for a particular lock, are able to work the lock themselves when the lockie is taking these breaks so it seems rather unhelpful that volunteers finish at 4pm when the lockie will be entitled to take a statutory break from 5 - 5:30.

Sulley

Visit site
I agree with your comments Boatone.

Boulters is such a deep lock when going up river that a lot of boats stuggle to get their lines on without help. We had a couple of friends on board so we were able to do the lock and help other boats as well.

Brayman

Visit site
The asisstant at Sonning yesterday, paid or unpaid - can't tell, left when the lockie came back from his break at about 5:20pm.

I can't tell who is who and just thankful there is someone to work the lock when I arrive.

There are so many new faces it's difficult sometimes to work out who is the regular lockie before the summer is over.

Sulley

Visit site
As we wear automatic lifejackets people often assume we are lock assistants when it's on self service! The other half has been known to remove her life jacket to stop people asking questions :confused:

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
The asisstant at Sonning yesterday, paid or unpaid - can't tell, left when the lockie came back from his break at about 5:20pm.

I can't tell who is who and just thankful there is someone to work the lock when I arrive.

There are so many new faces it's difficult sometimes to work out who is the regular lockie before the summer is over.

Clearly the actual keeper needs some form of distinguishing feature or clothing. Might I tentatively suggest that he is issued a smart blazer or uniform jacket with some decent brass buttons and a peaked cap with a white top so that he stands out...:)

teddington_lock

Visit site
What about him ?

That is standard 'black and white' summer uniform. To be worn when assisting boats , unless you are doing manual tasks in which case you can wear the blue cargo trousers with the dark blue polo. Black and whites should be worn at weekends in the season though , as far as possible.

We aren't allowed to wear the 'dress' uniform anymore - black and white cap , greatcoat etc.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
What about him ?

That is standard 'black and white' summer uniform. To be worn when assisting boats , unless you are doing manual tasks in which case you can wear the blue cargo trousers with the dark blue polo. Black and whites should be worn at weekends in the season though , as far as possible.

We aren't allowed to wear the 'dress' uniform anymore - black and white cap , greatcoat etc.

I have never bpthered with an FOI question before but that does nearly beg one, although I suspect that the likely dodgy reasons about authority figures being non PC will probably have been redacted into something wooly about costs:)

_inverse_

Visit site
Maybe I've not been paying attention or it never occurred o me there was something to know, but I discovered yesterday that volunteers only work 10am to 4pm and not the hours published in the Customer Charter.

Hi there. I am a volunteer and can tell you that there are no standard hours that we should work. As volunteers we are being asked to help out where we can. I myself do one day a week from around 9:30 to 6:30 covering all the breaks that the resident needs to take.

watson1959

Visit site
Some people just love to be near and associated with the river, very difficult to explain!

no its not :D

....if I go 3-4 days without being down there with the dogs or the boat I get the shakes....I'm quite sure it stops me 'blowing' from the pressure of work:D

love the place.....

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Hi there. I am a volunteer and can tell you that there are no standard hours that we should work. As volunteers we are being asked to help out where we can. I myself do one day a week from around 9:30 to 6:30 covering all the breaks that the resident needs to take.

Nice to hear from you - and welcome.

FYI; see here for the forum burgee. See any boat flying this and say a very special "hello"
http://www.boatsontheweb.com/burgees/burgees.html