E FFFF ING ROBOS

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Mini skip and myself were out last night for a potter about went down syon reach and then up to richmond coming back down with the tide slightly to starboard on the surrey side doing approx 4 knts all was going ok

Untill

all of a sudden an eight comes hurtling towards us from astern with the chase boat to their port side straight away I turn the helm to starboard to avoid a collision and as they passed us only a couple of feet separated us from their oar tips not only did the w @ nker in the chase boat not thank us he was shaking his head in a patronising manner

Btw the eight was not racing

now the colregs question were we not doing something that I missed ?

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
now the colregs question were we not doing something that I missed ?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. They are overtaking so you hold your course and speed and they are obliged to keep clear.
2. A collision is imminent so you are obliged to take evasive action (which you did).
Personally I'd get my f'ing great air horn and give them 5 blasts plus get the rowing school info and a strong letter to their secretary.

(Did this once with the dippo's in Pangbourne - my letter said it was very courageous of them to let blind people on their skulls and the chase boats at the same time)

DWT

Visit site
They can be so arrogant. I was at the TVR at Henley this year. A robo came past going downstream with the trainer on his bike on the towpath just as a small cruiser went past in the same direction.

The trainer issuing instructions through his megaphone said "watch the wash of that boat," a hesitation and then clearly for the benefit of the hated cruiser owners he was passing, "it's going a bit too fast." Actually it was doing nothing of the sort and its wash was minimal.

I understand that even a small wash can cause them problems, but there has to be a bit of give and take.

They are not all bad though. Last year I was travelling upstream from Caversham Bridge towards Mapledurham and it was like the M25 with robos of all shapes and sizes. Towards the end of the reach there was an eight which I knew wanted to turn around, but was having trouble finding space with smaller rowers all around.

I held back while they sorted themselves out and eventually they moved to one side and one of the rowers waved me past and gave me a thumbs up in thanks (it was just a thumb, honestly).

I felt pretty good about this, but sadly this sort of thing is a fairly rare occurance.

I understand why you might want to complain to the rowing club when they behave badly, but I wonder if this will just widen the rift between rowers and cruiisers. Perhaps we should write and to say thank you when positive things happen. They might get the message that we can co-exist quite happily with a bit more understanding on both sides

Chris_d

Visit site
As an ex rower myself I've rarely experienced any problems with rowers, and i've been going up and down the river for most of my life. I can only think I must be compensating for them in some subconsious way that you aren't chuckaduck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

From what you describe it sounds as if they woke you up, hence the coaches shaking head, whatever colregs might say about overtaking vessels common sense should prevail on both sides.

However having coxed eights when I was a kid I know they change direction like a super tanker, you need to set them up for a bend about 100metres before it. This will often mean being on the wrong side of the channel, if a crusier is on your course the cox will have to decide whether to go round it, apply a lot of rudder and upset the boat or hope the crusier hears him coming and moves out the way.
Have to admit we used to buzz crusiers a lot when I was a kid /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif startling unsuspecting, half awake skippers was all part of the fun.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
you echo my sentiments totally

mostly they are arrogant rude and without manners only a few are courteous and polite

the worst offenders where we are are the twickenham and richmond lot

see this link here and you will see that their attitude towards other users is not good btw the bit at the top of the page ref tongue in cheek was only added after someone complained ( guess who ? ! )

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
There are a couple of PLA Notices you might like to bone up on if you are not already aware.....

Red Cans Buoys and Rowing
All about the red can buoys in the Syon Reach to Hammersmith stretch and seperating rowers from the main channel

Navigation of Rowing Vessels

They are both about getting rowing craft to behave in a more orderly way as well as letting other river users see what they should be doing.

Cliveshep

Visit site
They're too fast for me, no matter what I do I can't catch them. The best thing I've found is to anchor ACROSS the river with short chains and long ropes floated just under the surface by floats, fenders etc. That way I can at least catch some and do my public duty by reducing the numbers (still floating) on the river. What do other members do?

Only joking of course.......................of course!!

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
chris d

As far as compensating for robos we always do mainly as we dont particularily like being shouted and sworn at by them

Sometimes I wonder why we bother to though

Maybe the difference is geographical location perceptions and times, here it is tidal and can get a bit choppy which isnt helped by powered boats ok a robo feels vunerable and resents anything that impedes his progress

what I and others have noticed is that they will rant not because you have done something but because you might ie when you approach them not when you have passed

also here the are out in force training at times when it is quiet so we might be the only powered vessel there among the hunting packs of robos

Re the eight yesterday you have a point but all river users have a responsibility to be safe and responsible this includes an eight travelling at speed and yes I am fully aware that it is difficult for them to manouever but there was a cox and trainer who had a very good view in front of them and still made no attempt to avoid a collision

I on the other hand was not facing them and as I always do I periodically check behind me which is why I was able to prevent a collision just in time at no point was there an audible warning either

The most upsetting thing though is as always the total lack of manners shown by robos

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO SAY A THANK YOU

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Re: chris d

[ QUOTE ]
HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO SAY A THANK YOU

[/ QUOTE ]
Not difficult at all. We would slow down for a robo (wash and all that). They might have their hands full but an acknowledgement by eye contact and nod of their head shows their appreciation and you return a cheery wave - Robos take note!

Gumpy

Visit site
No mention of 35ton steel barges as the enemy.........

Coming up on the tide just down stream of eel pie island avoiding the dinghys who were dashing back and forth whist leaving enough room for navigation. A pair was resting in the middle of the river, suddenly without looking or warning they set off diagonally towards me, I sounded my horn hit reverse and they dissappeard under my bow. When they came out the other side there was only one and a half oars to be seen.
I said sorry and carried on my way.
Nothing I could have done would have averted the accident.

J

Elessar

Visit site
Robo - the solution

I was heading down to the sea with my kids on the foredeck last year, on a nice sunny day. Caught up with a single scull just before Kew and slowed down to sit behind him rather than overtake (even at legal speeds) with the wash. It slowed me down, but give and take and all that.
After about 2 miles, I expected a thank you but no, he swore at the kids for making a racket. They were just laughing and joking and generally having fun.
If he'd sworn at me I'd have been cross, but he swore, for no good reason, at my kids and their pals.
So the solution was obvious, and as far as I was concerned what he'd requested. Get past him and away from him as fast as I could.
Job done.
Doubt it did much for robo relations but this guy was a lost cause and I don't care!

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Robo - the solution

It's not just Rowers. I met a succession of people one season all who had nothing but bad words about the Upper Thames Motor Yacht Club. The wrong impression gained all came from one certain member who quite frankly would put a Saint's back up. It's a shame, we only remember the bad apples.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Re: Robo - the solution

The wrong impression gained all came from one certain member who quite frankly would put a Saint's back up

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Byron

Does this mean you were a member of the club then ??

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keith 66

Visit site
I dont have any experience of rowing in sliding seat boats but am Chairman of a newish rowing club on the Estuary.
At Lower Thames RC we row traditional fixed seat Gigs these turn on a sixpence and are inherently seaworthy so wash hardly bothers us,
If you think you have problems, down on the estuary we have to mix it with PWC's speedboats and yachts.
Our committee is at pains to ensure courtesy is extended when due, a thank you or friendly wave costs nothing and is appreciated both ways.
There are inconsiderate and ignorant people in every sport and there should be no excuse for bad behaviour so dont tar us all with the same brush.
I look forward to the day when we recruit our first PWC or stink pot driver as a member!

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Our committee is at pains to ensure courtesy is extended when due, a thank you or friendly wave costs nothing and is appreciated both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wholeheartedly agree - you have my full support
[ QUOTE ]
There are inconsiderate and ignorant people in every sport ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Problem seem to be Keith, that rowing seems to attract these sort of people.

In our 10 years of being on the Thames I have encountered maybe 3 (out of dozens of "incidents") where courtesy was extended. All the rest were robo's fully believing it was their river! As far as I'm aware one of the few river craft allowed to exceed the speed limits are the robo support boats , and boy do they use it - even if not in support mode! The wash off these can be incredible - if you could spread this sort of information amongst your fraternity it would be useful (especially Wallingford RC) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Wholeheartedly agree - you have my full support
Qoute
-------------------------

Me too

I agree with Steve about the support boats although they are permitted to exeed the speed limit while training
they ignore it otherwise

Chris_d

Visit site
Oh dear I'm afraid i'm coming to the conclusion it is you guys who are probably the problem. You shouldn't have mentioned Wallingford RC, I was a member years ago and had the privilage of representing my country as a member of Wallingford RC and School, they have produced many fine atheletes.
As Wallingford is near my home stretch I can honestly say its one place rowers are not a problem. I've been going up and down there in various boats for over 30 years. I'm not exactly living in the past either, last weekend I past maybe 30 rowing boats, not a single problem with any of them.