Duty back on petrol

nickjaxe

Visit site
I was thinking how unfair it is the somebody with a diesel engine in there boat pays about 33% of what I pay, [red derv] and good luck to them as well, but I was wondering if HM customs have ever been challenged about the duty on petrol for marine use, ie not being used in a road vehicles, wonder how it works for light aircraft that use petrol, if they get any dispensation, seem all very unfair to me, the sub aqua club I belong to would love to be able to claim the duty back to pay for much needed equipment, comments please.

Nick in cheshire.

Sorry I ment to post this on motor boat forum.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by nickjaxe on 27/08/2003 23:30 (server time).</FONT></P>

dickh

Visit site
I'm sure you can claim duty back on petrol if it is used on a safety boat - but I suspect there are lots of strings attached! - and someone may corect me. The RYA may have something on their site.
I also believe there is very little duty on Aviation fuel.....

Another thought - why not get a Diesel Outboard? - I believe Yanmar make one(or used to)

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by dickh on 28/08/2003 11:19 (server time).</FONT></P>

AlanPound

Visit site
There is (IIRC) around 27p per litre duty on AvGas, plus VAT as well. There is either no duty, or very very little duty (or is it a no duty and a very low rate of VAT, I cannot recall, as I don't use the stuff) on AvTur (AKA Jet-A1), which is pretty much like diesel fuel.

If 'going foreign', at many airports it is possible to sign a declaration as such, and then not have to pay VAT on AvGas. In addition, one can subsequently make a claim to HM C&E for return of the duty as well. As it is a substantial part of the cost, most flyers I know do go through the pain of filling in the forms to get the duty back for trips overseas.

The forms I use are called HO60 and HO65A, and are headed "Claim for Drawback of Excise Duty on Hydrocarbon Oil Shipped as Stores on Foreign-going Aircraft". I would be surprised if there wasn't a version of this for boats.... Phone the appropriate office of HM C&E on 0191 2011747 to find out...

Alan

<hr width=100% size=1>

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
Maybe the real issue is whether yotties should be entitled to buy diesel duty free like working boats and farm vehicles - this has always been an anomaly. In view of the high-sulphur polluting qualities of red diesel, I'd suggest that leisure sailors should be required to pay normal duty and use low-sulphur "city diesel".

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldestgit

Visit site
Re: Use low-sulphur \"city diesel\"

Oh!!! Bless me ...... you will want a subsidy next.

God bless the common european ppppp thingy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
As the UK is one of only two EU countries who do not charge leisure boaters duty on their diesel, a policy which has already been challenged by the commission, I feel the greater likelihood is that far from being able to reclaim duty on petrol marine diesel is likely to be dutiable.

One should not confuse taxation and justice - states usually look for the simplest method of raising money to pay for their activities.

<hr width=100% size=1>