Dutch Canals - Air Draft info.

mcetap

Visit site
Thanks Sailorman and Dan, Staande Maastroute Atlas already on the shopping list, but what if we want to go off the route?

Thanks also to MoodySabre. I'm not known for planning much in advance, but I'd sooner have an idea whether she will fit before getting within Mk. I eyeball range.
If you go further inland than the Staande Mastroute you will sooner or later find a fixed bridge in your way. The main locks and bridges in the Delta region will be no problem, as most bridges have a clearance of at least 18m (or more at low tide) or can be opened (marked as BB on the charts). I would recommend the ANWB Waterkaarten app as they have all the information and charts you need, and more, for the inland waterways.

http://www.anwb.nl/water/varen/producten/waterkaarten-app

It's free for the first 2 days, and 4,99 EUR per week / 9,99 EUR per month afterwards.

sailorman

Visit site
It's generally the first Dutch shop I go into, despite protests. I look round, think 'this is all a bit pricey' and walk out again.
Then on the way home I go in there again, and think 'Maybe it's not so expensive after all....'
Last yr their fuel was the cheapest in The Netherlands we came across, if staying a while dont export too much fuel from England

AliM

Visit site
There's a series of booklets, stocked in all the chandleries, which give maps and clearances for all the waterways in their region, bridge opening times, facilities at marinas - everything you need to know in a form you can easily understand (although in Dutch). We found it much easier to use than the wateralmanak, although it is presumably the same data. I think they are published by the same people as the Staande Mast route, but they cover all areas even the canals and ditches only tiny boats can venture into.

Just found our one (Groningen/Drenthe). It's a ANWB Wateratlas, the scale of the maps is 1:50000, and so, as Sailorman says I expect it's all on the web.

sailorman

Visit site
Open CPN is all new to me, have to get y thinking head on to deal with new fangled ideas, but many thanks - that should be a great experience.

Yes we will be getting folios, but prefer not to fork out first, then find the boat won't fit! Perhaps 17m clearance is universal and I'm worrying unnecessarily - never had problems with 12,5m air draft on visits with previous yachts Outline plan is in at Vlissingen and work our way North to Amsterdam and as far beyond as time, weather and inclination take us. She's a shared boat, so crew (and skipper) swaps will happen, and she may be left alone on occasion. As I implied earlier, I'm not known for making detailed plans, preferring to go with the flow.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Last trip we left via the roompkt and had a fantastic sail to ijmuiden wjth a varm easterly breze vismpkt

BoyBlue49

Visit site
I sailed from Ijmuiden to Lauwersoog via the staande mast route with 20m mast + aerial and 2.1m draft without getting anywhere near overhead wires. Most bridges on main canals open, some are timed, such as rail bridges.
You are expected to have the almanac and charts on board.
Great sailing/motoring and wonderful welcoming people who can speak and want to speak English, unlike the Frogs.