DSC VHF

ErikKiekens

Visit site
Folks; I have a Garmin GPS 152 which is wired to NMEA and linked only to the windspeed, I believe. The GPS is enough for me, I don't need a chart plotter and enjoy drawing on paper charts (my age, I know)
Now my old VHF is falling apart and I would like to upgrade to DSC. To make full use of the system I would like it to know my position. Salesmen tell me I should link it to NMEA but I would prefer to have a stand-alone VHF-DSC with GPS so this GPS can be a back-up for the Garmin.
Your opinion on this strategy? What DSC to choose?
Erik the belgian sailorman

Pye_End

Visit site
May not suit you, but there is a new handheld DSC VHF from Icon which has a GPS built in. Wont have the range of a fixed set though, although it may well be possible to put it on to an external antenna.

Billjratt

Visit site
The GPS info from a typical VHF radio is only position, so it will not be a backup for your main GPS functions (SOG COG etc.)
AND, some radios have such a small screen that the info can't be easily seen anyway.

Seajet

Visit site
Erik,

if in your position I'd also have a look at the VHF's ( Standard Horizon ??? ) with an AIS display; small screen, but probably worth having - I presume GPS is available too.

johnalison

Visit site
I think the original proposal is over-complicated. I too would link the current GPS to a new VHF. I have separate H/H GPS & VHF for back-up, with the option of using them in liferaft or dinghy if needed.

SAWDOC

Visit site
Folks; I have a Garmin GPS 152 which is wired to NMEA and linked only to the windspeed, I believe. The GPS is enough for me, I don't need a chart plotter and enjoy drawing on paper charts (my age, I know)
Now my old VHF is falling apart and I would like to upgrade to DSC. To make full use of the system I would like it to know my position. Salesmen tell me I should link it to NMEA but I would prefer to have a stand-alone VHF-DSC with GPS so this GPS can be a back-up for the Garmin.
Your opinion on this strategy? What DSC to choose?
Erik the belgian sailorman

Your strategy seems fine. I went for a fixed Standard Horizon DSC VHF last year and it is fit for purpose and not too expensive. The GPS is a seperate feed into the VHF and as far as I know most models do not come with an inbuilt GPS. Any GPS that outputs standard NMEA will supply the required data. A handheld Garmin would be suitable.

prv

Visit site
You can also buy "mouse" style GPS units that have no buttons or display but simply output NMEA data over a cable. Seem like the ideal thing to connect to a VHF, although they seem to be becoming less common as the portable devices they were aimed at start to include GPS chips built in (as VHFs should but mostly don't).

Pete

SAWDOC

Visit site
You can also buy "mouse" style GPS units that have no buttons or display but simply output NMEA data over a cable. Seem like the ideal thing to connect to a VHF, although they seem to be becoming less common as the portable devices they were aimed at start to include GPS chips built in (as VHFs should but mostly don't).

Pete

Are you describing a USB type GPS and if so is it an easy matter to cut the usb fitting and splice the wires to the VHF input? Or does it come as a bare wire end?

northwind

Visit site
Are you describing a USB type GPS and if so is it an easy matter to cut the usb fitting and splice the wires to the VHF input? Or does it come as a bare wire end?

Standard horizon are about to launch a fixed VHF with built in gps... Not sure why it's taken a manufacturer all this time to make one! But it will certainly be welcome!

prv

Visit site

They're similar, but not the same - GPS mice are available with both USB and serial connections, often on otherwise very similar models. USB is a complicated protocol which only USB ports speak; you can't splice it into anything else. You need to find a GPS mouse whose output is serial, aka RS232. If it comes with any plug other than a USB one, it's likely to be serial.

Sadly, as I said in my original post, these have become less common than they were, but they are still obtainable.

Pete

SAWDOC

Visit site
They're similar, but not the same - GPS mice are available with both USB and serial connections, often on otherwise very similar models. USB is a complicated protocol which only USB ports speak; you can't splice it into anything else. You need to find a GPS mouse whose output is serial, aka RS232. If it comes with any plug other than a USB one, it's likely to be serial.

Sadly, as I said in my original post, these have become less common than they were, but they are still obtainable.

Pete

Thanks for the clarification.

I understood that the USB type GPS got its power supply via the laptop. For connecting a mouse type GPS directly to a VHF set, is there a mouse type with 4 "splicable" wires 2 NMEA and 2 power?

orion50

Visit site
Standard horizon are about to launch a fixed VHF with built in gps... Not sure why it's taken a manufacturer all this time to make one! But it will certainly be welcome!

Some blurb on the above

Standard Horizon Introduces Industry 1st Fixed Mount VHF with BUILT-IN GPS!
Thursday, December 15, 2011

The New GX1700 makes DSC easy. With an internal 12 Channel GPS built into the front panel, there is no need to hassle with wiring the radio to a GPS for DSC. Out of the box and ready to go, DSC calling, position sharing, waypoint navigation, navigation to DSC distress calls can all be performed with just a few simple steps. The GX1700 is also capable of entering and saving up to 100 waypoints, which may be selected and navigated to by using a unique navigation compass display which shows your vessels SOG, COG, BRG (Bearing) and DST (Distance) to the waypoint.

The Explorer GX1700 has an ultra thin, compact rear case, only 3.5” in depth or half the depth of comparable VHF radios on the market. The GX1700 easily meets and exceeds all the new Class D DSC regulations.

The GX1700S has the ability to accept a RAM3 Remote Access Microphone allowing full control of all radio and DSC functions from a second station