DSC individual call

snowleopard

Visit site
went on the course, bought the set, now i can't use it... on my course we had a £3000 dsc controller to play with that switched channels on the recipient's set but with my yachtsmans class D set i can't do that so how do i make a call?

i called dover coastguard on dsc and they duly acknowledged but what then? i called them on ch 16 as usual and mentioned that i had made the dsc call: they said they had received it but had done nothing about it.

help, how do you use this expensive box of tricks for anything but mayday???

Cornishman

Visit site
Might I respectively suggest that you carefully read the set's instruction book. You will need to know the other station's MMSI if you wish to make an individual call.

alex_rogers

Visit site
Depends a bit on the set.

I have an ICOM501 which doesn't allow me to set a calling channel for boat to boat communication after the call. So I call his MMSI with the DSC, the other guys DSC receiver beeps and tells him he has a call. He tells his DSC set to acknowledge the call. I see that he has acknowledged the call on my set and then have to call him on channel 16 to arrange a calling channel. More steps but saves calling on channel 16 initially with no guarentee that he is listening.

My friend has a newer set which allows a calling channel to be set. He calls me, I acknowledge and my set automatically tunes to the channel that he selected. He then talks on that channel normally.

The same goes for test messages to the coast guard. You send an individual DSC call to their MMSI and follow it up immediately with a normal call. They tell you that they saw your call and confirm your number.

It's all much more involved and not quite as convenient than the course or the books suggest.

Alex Rogers
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.YachtsAtSea.com> www.YachtsAtSea.com </A>

colin_jones

Visit site
I had exactly the same zero reaction from Brixham Coastguard last May, when I wanmted to report a Cross Channel departure - which they advise you to do.
It seems that I amnor alone West of Portland.

When I called on 16/67, they agreed that they had received the digital warning, but had just left it idle.

Confirms most of my suspicions about dsc in anything but emergency use.

Best advice, if you are not deperate for a new vhf rig, use the money on something else

iangrant

Visit site
So is it really worth the "upgrade".

The upgrade for my Simrad 8300 is about 700 quid!

A new set is about 300, but I fear not as good as the Simrad?

Ian

snowleopard

Visit site
"respectfully" usually means "i think you are a stupid prat". of course i read the manual and put in the called station's mmsi. as you will see from the other responses on this thread, that's where the problems start!!!!!!

Gunfleet

Visit site
800 quid? That seems extraordinary. I have a Navico and bought the Simrad Navico controller (200 sovs, more like). I think it's well worth it, just so I can have the radio turned down to a minimum. The alarm sounds for important stuff (like gale warnings and maydays) and I rush down to the saloon and turn it up. None of this 'can I have a radio check please' nonsense. Bliss.

tony_brighton

Visit site
Mine was free so very worth it. The huge feature for me is the ability to press the red button and transmit a mayday with a GPS position - got to be value in that!

Cornishman

Visit site
Not a prat, but more of a prickly hedgehog.
My comments were made because your manual should tell you how to do these things. If it doesn't, you can't.
It is surprising that HMCG hasn't joined this thread yet, as he usually jumps in to defend himself when he is criticised.
I understand that they are now equipped to handle dsc but until officially told to do so are quietly ignoring it, unless for distress or emergency. The Chief Coastguard did say that the system would not become completely "on line" until about 2004, and so far I have heard nothing to the contrary.
If you are still having troubles try contacting Alison Noice, the RYA National Radio Adviser e-mail: radio@noice.info