Driving from UK to Greece

captmikecoin

Visit site
rascacio;5630422 If the open return is not an option does anyone know what the cost to change the return date on the ticket is ? We are going Brindisi to Igou said:
We changed the date of our ticket last year and I seem to remember it cost about £30. However I can't remember whether that was the admin charge for changing the ticket or if it included the loss of early booking discount. Best thing is to call Viamare the UK agents (+442082063420).

Many dogs don't like doing their business on deck so make sure you stop before you get to the ports which are usually all concrete and tarmac without a blade of grass to p.... on.
Cheers,
Mike

captmikecoin

Visit site
Had a look at ViaMichelin. Conwy to Athens driving via
Frankfurt
Zagreb
Beograd
Skopje
Athens.

What's the downside.?

I've done it many times but not for some years so can't advise on current conditions. It was quite straightforward the last time I did it which was before the Balkan wars, but the roads have improved since then I understand. You might like to research the state of the border crossings, especially the Gevgelija/Evzonon one into Greece as this is close to where all the refugees are accumulating, so may have restrictions. Maybe a call to the Greek automobile club ELPA (+30 2106068800) if they are still operating would clarify the situation. Alternatively the Greek Tourist Office in London might know (020 7495 9300).
Cheers,
Mike

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I tried the Greek tourist office and they were ,what can I say but unhelpful !.

(This is not a question for us to answer this is political, why ask us such questions regarding borders .if you lost your passport you would not phone me but a political office)

It would appear that there is a problem any other information would be appreciated .

cheers bob

Last edited:

Cariadco

Visit site
We're about to do the reverse of the route I mentioned previously, although this time, we've the big black hairy thing, with us and so, we'll stop somewhere south of Calais (dunno yet where) then rip down to Chambery, spent the night there (after a long, long, boring run through French France).
Next day, another rip down to Ancona (Much more interesting than France, did I mention how boring that was??).
Hop on the big white thing, and after a quick turn-around in Ingominetsa, back to Corfu.
I'll then update you all on the total cost, accurately. (The previous journey upto Calais was about 800 quid, inclusive of everything, but no Mutt on that trip)
Should be doing this run in early May.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
(after a long, long, boring run through French France).
Next day, another rip down to Ancona (Much more interesting than France, did I mention how boring that was??).

Strange definitions of boring/not boring. 500 miles in almost a straight line on four-lane motorway from Milan to Ancona takes some beating in the boredom stakes.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Strange definitions of boring/not boring. 500 miles in almost a straight line on four-lane motorway from Milan to Ancona takes some beating in the boredom stakes.
Eh? It isn't even that far in kilometres, 428km says M. Michelin - it probably just seems like 500 miles.

Not much further than my twice a year 385km Milan to Latisana (mid-way between Venice and Trieste). It too is a boring run, but infinitely better than the parallel non-boring, Strade Statali route would be. Now that would probably take a couple of days.

Cariadco

Visit site
The Italian run was interesting, only because of the madness of the Italians. We would be purring along at around 140 to 160 km/hour (say 85 to 100 mph) and small diddy little cars like Fiat 500s and Cinquecentos were flying past us.....they must have been completely flat out!! Naturally the big boys in the BM's and Audis were forever present and we had to be quick to get out of their way. Certainly kept me on my toes.
France, on the other hand, was calm and steady, with excellent road manners displayed by everyone. Also the scenery hardly changed, and it didn't help that it was a grey, low cloud kinda day. Hence the mind numbing boredom.
Roughly speaking, the mileage was about 700 km's from the Ancona Ferry to Chambery, and then, another 700 kms upto Calais.

grumpygit

Visit site

It depends how long you want to spend in Italy, for us we like to vacate asap.
Just done the route from Dunkirk, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Lake Como, Ancona. Not our preferred route as we like to get the ferry from Trieste. This route is around the same distance, same ferry price and much lesser toll charges.
If you are going to do the trip regularly get a loyalty card. We have one with Minoan, you get 10% off your food and points for past purchases. This time the cost Ancona to Patras was €200 all in for the return trip for two with car and cabin.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Help! what am I doing wrong .The ferry company's Minoan are giving prices of around €834 return early May - October 2 people with basic cabin and standard car with small dog. Arcona -Igu.

Davy_S

Visit site
I have used Viamare in the past, they were ok.
Be VERY careful of the uk company Direct ferries! They seriously messed me up once, I used them to book the Ravenna ferry and paid them, I later found out there was no room on the ferry, if I had gone along with their booking I would have been stuck. I rang them to explain the situation, they said that they would check when an interpreter was available! I rang the Ferry company myself and they confirmed my worst fears, it took me two weeks to get my money back from the uk companny, never again, a complete nightmare to deal with!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We preferred to use Minoan because that gave us useful reductions on campsites when we travelled in the motorhome. Last time I tried to book we were half a day trying, getting more and more frustrated. In the end went to Superfast and booked in 10 minutes, easily and at a good price.

Agree on Viamare, I had to postpone driving out due to an accident and they were happy to delay for a year, same rate.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Had a look at ViaMichelin. Conwy to Athens driving via
Frankfurt
Zagreb
Beograd
Skopje
Athens.

What's the downside.?

Well after checking out ferry prices I think I will go the above route,I know there will be two extra nights in a hotel in the eastern countries but I don't expect to pay more than €50 a night .From using the Michelin guide it's £242 including toll plus tunnel and hotels.

Has anyone up to date knowledge of this route ..
cheers Bobt

njthake

Visit site
I came that route 5 years ago. Watch out for speeding fines, especially in Slovenia. I was in a line of traffic and got singled out and pulled for doing 26kmh in a 20 limit! Not even the with of my speedometer needle. €20 per Km over the limit = €120 fine!! The fact that I was in a line of traffic travelling at the same speed as everyone else fell on deaf ears. I followed lorries closely after that, they run the route often and know where the police are waiting. They drive at 60+ and suddenly slow down, it saved me several times for a loss of 1 hour journey time. I took pleasure in watching the expression on the faces of the police with radar who suddenly saw me tucked up behind the lorry as I passed. I am sure the have advance warning of easy prey.

Macedonia has a mandatory car insurance fiddle on entry, about €50 from memory, it is probably more now. EU insurance does not include this country.

Other threads that may be of interest