Drinking water in Sardinia

sula1

Visit site
Hi all,

We are sailing in Sardinia at the moment and we need to get some drinking water from somewhere as we're running very low in our tank!

We are in Golfo Aranci and have asked the coastguard (we are at anchor, not in a marina) if we could drink the distribution water and have been told a definite no. Same answer from some guys on a pontoon.

Does anybody know if we will be able to find potable water for our tank somewhere further south on the east/south coast (i.e. Cagliari) or around the top and west coast (Palau, Castelsardo, Alghero...)?

Thanks a lot in advance...3 very thirsty people ?!

NOHOH

Visit site
Get yourself a watermaker...problem solved permanently. They often come with a TDS meter (not expensive from Amazon) which you can also use to test any town water you might get offered to make sure it is potable.

dod

Visit site
I don't remember water being a problem when we were in Sardinia, two marinas on south coast and two on the north, plus Alghero, all supplied it.
There is no problem in the supply of water it is the potability of the water that is the problem in the Olbia area of Sardinia. Apparently high in nitrates (not an expert so don'know the full effects)
Locals only drink bottled water and at 17 cents for 2 ltrs is cheap. Having said that we have drank the 'tap' water to no ill effect so my suggestion is try the tap water in a few cans for a couple of days then if all ok then you can fill up. Either way you will need to fill your tanks whether you drink the water from them or not.
Whisky is cheap enough so not much need for water IMHO
good luck

NOHOH

Visit site
Locals only drink bottled water and at 17 cents for 2 ltrs is cheap. Having said that we have drank the 'tap' water to no ill effect so my suggestion is try the tap water in a few cans for a couple of days then if all ok then you can fill up. good luck

My understanding is that.........Up to 900 ppm salt is not usually `tasteable` in water. Over 500ppm there is a long term detrimental effect on the kidneys and raising blood pressure .
Typically, a watermaker will desalinate seawater to around 175ppm

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Get yourself a watermaker...problem solved permanently. They often come with a TDS meter (not expensive from Amazon) which you can also use to test any town water you might get offered to make sure it is potable.

TDS is only a partial indicator of potability. It will only indicate if the inorganic, dissolved impurities are low; it won't tell you about bacterial or viral contaminants.

NOHOH

Visit site
Agreed....but that is "contamination" of the water rather than the innate characteristics of the water..... but many add protection against that kind of contamination to their systems (or should) anyway. You might think I`m quibbling....but I`m just trying to talk about mineral (usually salt) content.

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
We filled our containers, and then the tank, from the tap by the coastguard rib in Golfo Arranci several times. Tasted fine, and gave no ill effects we've noticed. We don't have a filter.

We think the water in Sardinia is generally fine, and the locals have some irrational prejudice against drinking it. However, we are careful not to drink water that has come through a supplied hose unless it has been run for long enough to clear it of any water left from the previous use.

TonyMS

Monique

Visit site
Little drinkable water at Sardinia ports.... luckily we have a WM and a large tank. Buy bottled water is prob your only option. GL