draws for Centaurs

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
drawers for Centaurs

One of the weirdest things on the Centaur is the sink unit.

autoimage-207401_bd285754d85fd25b8e1e803a6730dd5e.jpg

almost no crockery fits into the crazy slots and there is a big empty space under the sink that would be fine for storing champagne upright

size-chart.jpg

Now I love a gubbins draw or two on a boat

and here you can see the wasted space

autoimage-212054_e090fb3ac58062fd162e704ca24d4d93.jpg

I have seen some snaps of some additional draws added

759.jpg

autoimage-201431_24e7334f8450993e6d457f48dc087e80.jpg

Has anyone done this job and would be prepared to pass on their wisdom, and maybe a few snaps or WIP before I get the jigsaw out and do something I might life to regret

D

Last edited:

SiteSurfer

Visit site
Re: A draws for Centaurs

I have nothing on Centaurs, but would be super keen to see how you make the drawers and do the woodwork. Purely from a practical 'need to do it myself and too scared to bodge it' point of view.

I would imagine that getting it all to slide in and out nicely is one of the challenges?

Oo

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
Re: A draws for Centaurs

We had loads of wasted space on Triola, so some years ago my late father (who was a shipwright, boatbuilder and a quite awesome carpenter) put in these cupboards (not drawers unfortunately!)

http://www.albinballad.co.uk/technology/new-beautiful-cupboards/

Alas I can't pass any more information on than what is in the photos as I never took the opportunity to get properly involved in the project :(

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Ikea, and I am sure, other diy places used to do drawer kits. Ballrace runners, frame and flat pack drawer unit. I have often thought this might be an easy solution that avoids woodwork. Just a thought

FistralG

Visit site
Re: drawers for Centaurs

One of the weirdest things on the Centaur is the sink unit.

autoimage-207401_bd285754d85fd25b8e1e803a6730dd5e.jpg

almost no crockery fits into the crazy slots and there is a big empty space under the sink that would be fine for storing champagne upright

...anyone...be prepared to pass on their wisdom...

Try Trago Mills for crockery that fits the crazy slots.

For storing champagne you'll need to find a refrigerator that fits into the space, that way the champagne is always ready to drink for those impromptu soiree's.

prv

Visit site
Ikea, and I am sure, other diy places used to do drawer kits. Ballrace runners, frame and flat pack drawer unit. I have often thought this might be an easy solution that avoids woodwork. Just a thought

I'd be wary of using DIY-shed drawer runners, because they're probably plated mild steel at best. However, google will easily find some very nice all-stainless ones - I used a very heavy-duty pair to build Kindred Spirit's sliding chart table (rated to 120kg in the extended position in case someone accidentally sat on it).

Don't forget some kind of catch for these athwartships drawers, or runners (whether manufactured or home-made) that need the drawer to be lifted over an initial detent.

Pete

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I made 2 drawers from perspex with wood fronts to fit a spare space each side to my galley stove. The drawers are kept closed with turn catches as shown.

IMGP2656_zpsf7urfjwx.jpg

The center section is a drop down flap for storing trays and cutting boards.

dylanwinter

I made 2 drawers from perspex with wood fronts to fit a spare space each side to my galley stove. The drawers are kept closed with turn catches as shown.

IMGP2656_zpsf7urfjwx.jpg

The center section is a drop down flap for storing trays and cutting boards.

actually..... you make a good point..... maybe all I need is bottom hinged doors. Save all that complicated sliding stuff. Much easier to make.

Good plan

D

mickyp168

Visit site

Dylan, the problem with storing Champagne on a Centaur is not space, it is a system of achieving the correct temperatures. As everyone knows Champagne needs to be stored at 50-55F or 10-15C and served at 43 - 48F or 7C. Therefore prior to serving it needs to be chilled in a fridge for about 3 hours or 20 - 30 mins in a ice bucket , preferably solid silver to correctly displace the chilling effect of the ice.
Hip hip
Cheers Mick

dylanwinter

Dylan, the problem with storing Champagne on a Centaur is not space, it is a system of achieving the correct temperatures. As everyone knows Champagne needs to be stored at 50-55F or 10-15C and served at 43 - 48F or 7C. Therefore prior to serving it needs to be chilled in a fridge for about 3 hours or 20 - 30 mins in a ice bucket , preferably solid silver to correctly displace the chilling effect of the ice.
Hip hip
Cheers Mick

Thanks for that

I shall bookmark that information for later use

is it alright to store it upright for short periods of a month or so between our regular binges

D

Juggler7823

Visit site

The first photo shows a small bulkhead across the doorway into the front cabin. It has a gas fire mounted across it. Is it possible to get into the front cabin when the fire is on?
Juggler

mickyp168

Visit site

Absolutely! Champagne should always be stored upright. If its a good one it will have spent all its life upright since leaving its House. Keep it in the coolest place you can find. Make sure the corks foil covering is intact to prevent ingress from humidity in the air. It will be fine
Hip hip
M

dylanwinter

Absolutely! Champagne should always be stored upright. If its a good one it will have spent all its life upright since leaving its House. Keep it in the coolest place you can find. Make sure the corks foil covering is intact to prevent ingress from humidity in the air. It will be fine
Hip hip
M

Probably a good subject for a PBO feature

D

[159032]

Visit site

I am not sure it's right to pull people up about their spelling and grammar. We don't really know who people are at the other end of the internet and not everyone can be a wordsmith.