Double End Yachts?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The two that I have sailed were to my eyes beautiful boats and excellent see keeping vessels:

Pacific Seacraft 40 and a Valiant 50.

I sailed around the Iizard into a full easterly gale with very big seas as we rounded. Starting out from Penzance with a number of other boats who gradually turned tail and went back. There were eventually two of us a similar size Nonsuch rigged vessel who eventually gave it best and went back to Penzance. The following day he arrived in Falmouth and came across to ask if we were the boat and enquired about the passage. He said we looked spectacular as we beat to windward, the boat never missed a tack. I was wearing shorts and a light sailing jacket and stayed dry as did the boat. I lusted after one for many years but they were just too many beer tokens at the time. She was a charter boat out of Falmouth I forget her name and don't have my log books anymore.

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I think in smooth seas double ender or canoe stern will probably give little improvement, as the fuller buoyancy of wide arse will simply lift the stern. Big seas that don't break are merely interesting. I have often wondered about the survivability of scoop stern boats from breaking stern seas however.

Now I have a small canoe stern boat plus a square stern boat I will look forward to exploring the different handling in following rough weather chop. The canoe stern is of course harder to fit windvanes, aux outboard brackets etc but I will manage if I really need them.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I think in smooth seas double ender or canoe stern will probably give little improvement, as the fuller buoyancy of wide arse will simply lift the stern. Big seas that don't break are merely interesting. I have often wondered about the survivability of scoop stern boats from breaking stern seas however.

Now I have a small canoe stern boat plus a square stern boat I will look forward to exploring the different handling in following rough weather chop. The canoe stern is of course harder to fit windvanes, aux outboard brackets etc but I will manage if I really need them.

It depends on the size of the arse (stern):rolleyes: The valiant 50 I sailed had a monitor wind vane which fitted very well.

alant

Visit site
The two that I have sailed were to my eyes beautiful boats and excellent see keeping vessels:

Pacific Seacraft 40 and a Valiant 50.

I sailed around Lands End into a full easterly gale with very big seas as we rounded. Starting out from Penzance with a number of other boats who gradually turned tail and went back. There were eventually two of us a similar size Nonsuch rigged vessel who eventually gave it best and went back to Penzance. The following day he arrived in Falmouth and came across to ask if we were the boat and enquired about the passage. He said we looked spectacular as we beat to windward, the boat never missed a tack. I was wearing shorts and a light sailing jacket and stayed dry as did the boat. I lusted after one for many years but they were just too many beer tokens at the time. She was a charter boat out of Falmouth I forget her name and don't have my log books anymore.

Just wondering, how when starting from Penzance, you sailed around Lands End, into a full easterly gale?:confused: