Double End Yachts?

Visit site
My previous boat (Scarborough Sloop) was double ended and I think her lines were fantastic. A large locker under the aft deck that fitted all my mooring lines and fenders.

If you want to see a double ender done properly have a look for some Albert Strange designs - you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer looking boat.

I now have a Contest 31 with a fat arse!

Seajet

Visit site
I was lucky enough to meet Mr Paine at the London boat show ( in the Earls Court days when it was was worth going ) and he was a thoroughly decent guy, very much in tune with the real requirements of modern sailing, inc blue water of course.

He was happy to chat at length with a couple of young berks who fancied fitting out a kit Victoria 30, though I dodged a bullet on that one due to my ' friend ' proving anything but, as happens a lot with shared boats I suspect.

An impressive boat though, and I'd happily do without two leprechaun sized double aft cabins and a wave slapping sugar scoop !

TimBennet

Visit site
Chuck Paine knows his stuff.

Chuck Paine first worked for Dick Carter in the early seventies and shared his office with the young Bob Perry and Yves-Marie Tanton.

That must have been one hell of a creative atmosphere! With that common lineage, it's no wonder each of them has dabbled rather successfully with double enders.

Blueboatman

Visit site
A double ended Westsail survived 'the perfect storm' to be washed ashore eventually and then refloated. Not bad for ANY 32 foot abandoned boat. Not the fastest or lightest of boats built though...

Interesting that Joubert changed his 'displacement under power' sums..I have added length to a squatting transom stern but to go from canoe to transom without loosing length??

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I was lucky enough to meet Mr Paine at the London boat show ( in the Earls Court days when it was was worth going ) and he was a thoroughly decent guy, very much in tune with the real requirements of modern sailing, inc blue water of course.

I went to a talk which he gave at the CA, sponsored by the Victoria Shadow Owners' Association, last spring. Very engaging, very interesting and/but he clearly doesn't have much interest in the cheap end of the yachting market.

Interesting factoid from the talk: Mr Paine's first design, "Frances", which begat the Frances 26, the Victoria 26 and the Victoria 800, was named after Frances Cairncross, the economist and broadcaster.

STATUE

Visit site
I have a Frances 26. The previous owner sailed the Atlantic twice in it.

Tom Cunliffe says: '... a real double-ender is one with a stern-hung rudder that extends up to the top of the sternpost at deck level'. Anything else is a 'canoe stern'.

Mine is very forgiving - except when turning in a marina !

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Pretty, no doubt, but for really 'andsome backside, look at slipper launches!

PICT0593w.jpg

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I'm pretty sure double-enders were, at first anyway, made that way because it was a lot easier - basically it's a bow at both ends. Transom's aren't that straightforward when you've only got hand tools.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I've lived in & sailed one for the last seven years, a bob perry Lafitte44.
Massive Lazerette, and one of the most comfortable and safe cockpits I have ever been in. No issues with bouyancy.
Some info on them on my site below

I sailed in a boat with a deep cockpit once & thought what a most uncomfortable useless thing it was. As soon as the boat heeled the upright side became canted over & i was forced to sit bowed to leaward.
To counteract this, I moved my bum to the front of the seat where it was uncomfortably perched on the edge & i had to constantly keep bracing myself. My back then leaned against the sharp edge of the top of the side & began to hurt. the section of my back between began to ache due to lack of support.
Give me a modern , more open cockpit with sloping sides any day of the week. A deep cockpit may be safe in a gale, but I sail in 3 gales a year & the rest of the year I do not want to go home every weekend with b ..y backache

As for pointed stern- sorry everyone, but I reckon they look darned ugly.
How on earth are you supposed to get 2 decent wheels in side by side in a thing like that?????

Daydream believer

Visit site
As sterns get even wider on sporty new cruising yachts, I'm expecting 3 wheels on the latest models at this year's boat show. 2 wheels good, 3 wheels better..

No they will follow the AC cat system with a trampoline &" boynging" across.at each tack
The RYA will then have to include, "How to get the length of "boynging" right" when tacking", so that boats are not left crewless ( should that be clueless?) by over "boynging" & ending up in the drink.
Solent sailors could then have over boom & under boom boynging, marina contests, on the way back to the boat, depending on the level of drunkenness

Seajet

Visit site
Yachts are suposed to be flights of fancy, a beatiful creature to helm with ones' fingertips laughing in the spray cuddling across the seas to an iddylic anchorage in a quiet bay to make love all night,

Not lardaressed pretend cruise liners distorted to fit ' boat show pleasing wives ' treble aft cabins, requiring silly twin rudders just to prevent the arse prising a proper rudder out of the water, and as big a posey steering wheel as big as possibble for Audi driver types :)