Doppler radar - useful or not?

lustyd

Visit site
I understand the issue is that the RYA have to be manufacturer agnostic and do not have the budget to provide up to date course materials and emulation software that would keep pace with technological improvements available.
I don't think any of that is the case really. The course was written to meet a need, and that need is no longer there in modern integrated systems. That's not a bad thing, it means technology has done what it's supposed to do and removed the complexity from the problem. I think they're not updating because there's no need for an updated version.
A modern set just needs the user to understand what the controls do, which the manual provides. Even then, a lot of it is automated, so although I know how to change the range on mine I never do because it matches the view on the chart(s). I often have two chart and radar zooms on screen at once to see weather and passage on one side with pilotage and obstacles the other side. The various weather and gain settings are all that really remain, but the manual explained those pretty well.

I'm not bashing the course btw. I took it and found it useful, but getting out a chinagraph pencil for radar on a modern system is entirely as fruitless as using a hand bearing compass to confirm the bearing of an object on the screen. The bearings and speeds will match because your position is known and so is theirs, and it's been plotted for you :)

Salty seadog

Visit site
Interesting topic and one that I am following. In the market for a new system but can any forumites recommend an installer in the Solent region. I have spoken to several and they do not fill me with confidence.

[2574]

Visit site
Interesting topic and one that I am following. In the market for a new system but can any forumites recommend an installer in the Solent region. I have spoken to several and they do not fill me with confidence.
I understand why you say that, so many do very poor work on installation, a function of cost I suspect, they simply can’t devote the time necessary to do a decent job as the client won’t pay for it. If you are at all diy minded I wholly recommend this approach, I installed all our new nav kit. It wasn’t difficult and satisfying once done.

lustyd

Visit site
If you have an existing radar check if the mount is compatible with the now standard bolt pattern. When I upgraded I just needed to swap the radome over and put the cable down the mast then connect to the new plotter

[2574]

Visit site
If you have an existing radar check if the mount is compatible with the now standard bolt pattern. When I upgraded I just needed to swap the radome over and put the cable down the mast then connect to the new plotter
Further, if you have a pod fitted existing plotter then it might be possible to fit the new plotter in the existing pod. I needed a converter plate for the princely sum of £80 but it made the swap over very easy.