Domp 740

Bladerunner

Visit site
Could anybody give me info. on this yacht ?

Been looking for a first yacht for some time now (very limited funds) and while doing a search on Botenbank.nl saw a number of these for sale at reasonable prices (< 6000 euros).

All I know is that they have a steel hull.

What I would really like to know is :-
1. Would they be suitable as a first boat.
2. Do they sail well. (most of my sailing for the next few years will be around the Bristol Channel with the occasional trip around the coast to Pembrokeshire)
3. Are there any problems peculiar to steel hulls.
4. Would my money be better spent on a GRP boat.

My sailing experience is very limited although I am planning to join a local yacht club very soon. I will also be taking a number of courses to try and gain a little competence.
I know it would be a good idea to spend some time just crewing on somebody elses boat but would like to own my own so I can sail when the time is convenient for me.
Most of my sailing is likely to be alone when I have enough experience.

Many thanks in advance for the replies I receive.

Bladerunner

Tu ne quaesieris, scire nefas

graham

Visit site
Must admit that I have never heard of them.

A point to consider if small boat cruising in the Bristol Channel is that most of the harbours dry out to either sand or mud .

A twin keeler or a long keel that can safely lean against a wall over low water or use drying legs will open up many interesting places that a re otherwise not possible with a fin keel.

Wouldnt the cost of fetching a boat back from holland negate any savings made on price??

AndrewB

Visit site
Hmmm ... tough one.

I have a vague recollection that Domp is not a regular make of yacht, but the name of a charter company in northern Holland that used a small fleet of steel yachts. Maybe this is one, or built to the design they used. If there are a number on the market, perhaps they are selling up.

If so, one might expect a tough little boat, suitable for use by relatively inexperienced charterers on the sheltered waters of northern Holland.

Steel is not often used for true sailing yachts below about 33 feet. It is a heavy material, and with a small design this can detract from performance. Also it can be difficult to make a conventional cabin cruiser that is stable enough to be suitable for sailing in open seas - perhaps this is more of a day-boat. Steel can involve much more maintenance than GRP, specially as it gets older and the original epoxy coating starts to fail.

Of course, none of that may apply in this case. Steel has the advantage of being tougher and cheaper than GRP - you'd be lucky to get a decent GRP boat of the same size, even an old one, at this price.

Turned up a pic of one that makes it look very pretty.

1690545.jpg