Does my ropecutter cut?

pugwash

Visit site
My boat is 32 years old and it looks like the ropecutter was fitted a long tiome ago. I have no idea what type it is. How can I check that it will work ? Seriously! Apart from looking at it, is there some way I can check it out next time she comes out of the water? Should one sharpen or file down the cutting blades or something?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Is it a scissors action or a single disk blade cutter? Can you post a picture?

The scissors action types, which are generally more effective, should not be sharpened according to the instructions. They need new bearings fitted regularly, or the blades won't be held correctly.

Tempted to suggest you try dangling a bit of line over the side if you want to know if its working, but perhaps that would be tempting fate!

<hr width=100% size=1>

robind

Visit site
If its the circular one that you have I can vouch for their effectiveness (is there is such a word) on the 26th of Aug whilst travelling to Hornfleur from Brighton (mid channel) I encountered a cargo net which entangled my Port prop and shaft, seriously slowing the engine. I waited 20 seconds and the cutters did their work, and the revs returned if not fully.

Whilst the net remained on both the propellor and the shaft it had been successfully seperated so that drive was again available from the engine ( some reduction in effect by paddle effect of net) ie the prop could still turn but was covered in net, giving some drive. We returned to Brighton and a diver removed same.

I am very pleased with the way they worked and feel that the " stickey out thingies" may have been of more hinderance with all that wirling metal etc?

Ah well! there`s always next year?

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rejuvanu.com>RejuVanu</A>

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
I've seen the bored guy at the Boat show cutting small diameter rope by rotating the propellor by hand and feeding the rope into the cutter. You could try the same.
I've just inspected my prop at the end of the season. I found some marks I thought were rope friction marks at the propellor root. I guess my stripper HAS been working but I had no idea of it at the time.
So you can do an unrealistic test or wait for evidence to emerge at sea.

<hr width=100% size=1>Roger