Does My Boat Have Ferrous Fastenings?

Jeep

Visit site
I am selling my 1960s East German Folkboat and I am being asked all sorts of questions about her. I have been asked about the fastenings and don't know what they are - is it possible they're ferrous? If they are, what should I do about it? Obviously ferrous seems like a bad idea but, then again, they've never given me a problem and have held her together for 40 years. All advice welcome.

Poignard

Visit site
Are there rust stains from any fastenings? You could also test with a magnet or a compass [which is a magnet anyway] or expose the head of a fastening and scrape it to show the bare metal. Perhaps you have an old survey report that might tell you?

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I very much doubt it.

She would have fallen apart long ago if they were.

Heavy carvel boats with grown frames are another matter.

Poignard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
1960s East German Folkboat

[/ QUOTE ]

Some years ago I was thinking of buying a Folkboat and read somewhere that the East German ones were poorly made and should be avoided.
Yours at 40+ seems to disprove that idea!

johnlilley

www.seasurveys.co.uk
From long distant memory, I recall that some of the eastern German FB's were strip built. If that is the case, it is possible that galvanised nails might have been used to pin the planks together edgewise, which was the usual conventional method for Strip build at that time (before epoxy saturation). These fastenings were well hidden in the planking and could not be seen and provided the glue lines were sound, should last a long time. If the glue lines fail then water can reach the hidden nail and cause corrosion bleeding. The scarf bolts for the centre line are also probably galvanised steel, again as were the majority of "everyday" timber boats from all parts of the globe including Hillyards , Falmouth Pilots etc.
Does that help ?
John Lilley

Jeep

Visit site
Thanks for all the input. The survey I have makes no mention (apart from 'no fastenings were inspected . . .'), she is strip planked (I think, carvel with no splines or caulking between planks, is that right?), I have a couple of rust dribbles at the stem but obviusly there is also a load of anchor chain inside, and one dodgy fasteing in the transom which could just be an odd replacement. I shall be at the yard tomorrow afternoon and will pull out a few plugs and have a look. It wouldn't be too bad replacing 50 or so at the stem as long as the old ones came out OK, the planking on the hull I have inspected looks amazingly good for her age. Thanks again, all.

johnlilley

www.seasurveys.co.uk
Slight difference between strip plank and carvel, strip plank uses narrow strips, about 1" wide laid edge on edge and glued with long nails going through the edge of three planks to form one mono skin. The skin is attached with screws/rivets to wide spaced frames. Carvel uses wide planks varying from 3 - 5 inches rivetted/screwed to closer spaced frames with caulking and or splines. The remiander of build is similar on both types. The glue quality and condition is important on strip planking.
John Lilley