does it need polishing?

Fin

Visit site
While i've got the mast (Al) down doing some electrics, is it worth polishing or waxing it with something to protect the finish?

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Fin on 08/02/2004 20:02 (server time).</FONT></P>

Becky

Visit site
Not really. Aluminium oxidises to aluminium oxide which is the surface protection and should be enough unless subjected to abrasion. It is the same with aluminium boats like Ovnis. Many are not painted because of the resistance to degradation, and also the difficulty in geeting anything to stick. Aluminium is around the level of zinc on the periodic table, if my memory serves me aright.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spuddy

Visit site
they're anodised, which is an industrial process giving a thicker protective oxide layer, nicely coloured as well. So any abrasive removes not only the protective layer but also the colour. I reckon waxing is OK.
I'll look forward to doing that - I've still got this leak you know.

<hr width=100% size=1>

malcp

Visit site
I've heard some people clean with water then rub over with WD40.
Alternatively Blakes have a new product which I have got, and will be trying this coming season. In the past I have tried wax polish with some success. Tends to go a hazy colour by mid season though. Season before last I used one of the teflon polishes and never again. Over the season the weather had got into the surface and it was a devil to clean off.

<hr width=100% size=1>