Does anybody actually sail?

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
I traveled from Split to Milna (Croatia) yesterday; unfortunately on a ferry rather than a yacht. It was a perfect day to be on the water - the sun was shining and the wind was blowing at around 10 kts. We passed 30 or so yachts and I was disappointed to see over 75% of them motoring!

As a delivery Skipper, I am obviously used to sailing whenever possible! It seemed a travesty on such a lovely day for so many to be motoring along...

It is high season, so many were probably charter yachts. But if you have no intention to sail then why not just charter a powerboat?

Pete

Kelpie

Visit site
Sail as much as constraints allow.
If I have all day, I lower my passage plan speed to <3kts, and then I don't have any problems with wallowing around in a F2.
Will usually try not to get fixated on a destination because that way lies motoring.

It doesn't seem to be as much of a problem up here- we either have loads of wind, or none at all, so it's a pretty clear-cut decision.

Bassplayer

Visit site
S'funny you should say that. I have noticed a high number of sailing boats motoring on a nice day along the coast / Medway / Thames on my recent travels.
They still seem to think I should give way too :eek:

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I think the world leaders in motoring are the American cruisers in the Caribbean, 90% plus practice by motoring from the East coast of the States to the Caribbean, rather sailing to Bermuda and out into the Atlantic to pick up the easterly trades. Of those who do sail in the Caribbean most won't sail in more than 15 knots, preferring to motor. All Europeans nations are the opposite especially the generally young Scandos.

RupertW

Visit site
Wasnt enough wind for us

We were in the same stretch and although we got 10 knots apparent wind dead ahead, 5 of them were due to our engine.

We were surrounded by charter boats all with the same deadline of getting back to base by Friday afternoon.

Even so everywhere is like the Solent where very few ever bother beating.

Visit site
As a delivery Skipper, I am obviously used to sailing whenever possible! It seemed a travesty on such a lovely day for so many to be motoring along...

I dont know what the contract arrangements are for a delivery skipper but when I have to make a delivery of my own boat, I usually find half the time I'm under engine. In fact when I did a circuit of atlantic france and spain, admittedly with swmbo and in a Prout, I averaged over 50 % of the time out of harbour with the engine going.

But on this forum you arent supposed to admit things like that any more than admitting to your boat being a cr*p sea boat.

Ludd

Visit site
On the Algarve/southwest Spain coastline,most sailing is done eastbound,motoring or motorsailing westbound------except for skinflints like me,I'll happily beat west all day

Romeo

Visit site
I sail a lot. One of the advantages of not having an engine. It does mean you don't always get where you thought/ hoped you were going to go but hey, you discover other places. It also means that when family members ask questions like "when will you be back?", one tends to get a bit defensive and evasive.

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
I dont know what the contract arrangements are for a delivery skipper but when I have to make a delivery of my own boat, I usually find half the time I'm under engine. In fact when I did a circuit of atlantic france and spain, admittedly with swmbo and in a Prout, I averaged over 50 % of the time out of harbour with the engine going.

But on this forum you arent supposed to admit things like that any more than admitting to your boat being a cr*p sea boat.

+1 Coastal yacht delivery means motoring a hell of a lot.

10 knots is not a lot of wind at all, might as well not have any if it is abaft the beam.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Recently in the BVI I spotted charters, mostly motoring, mind you they had left the rig behind.

Solves all those nasty decisons about reefing.

Mind you there were many others with apparently working rigs, why else do you take the sail covers off, motoring on a cracking sailing day.

Last edited:

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
+1 Coastal yacht delivery means motoring a hell of a lot.

10 knots is not a lot of wind at all, might as well not have any if it is abaft the beam.

You would think you'd at least have the mainsail up in 10 kts...

The 20% or so who were sailing looked like they were having a great time!

Pete

capnsensible

Visit site
I reckon that most delivery time is spent with engine on. Owners will pay for diesel at whatever a litre rather than days more for crew. Am I doing it wrong?

Longest one was St Lucia to Croatia. Mostly to windward. Owner still moaned about time taken!!

Wish I had a 'weather wand!!'

Csail

N/A
Visit site
I traveled from Split to Milna (Croatia) yesterday; unfortunately on a ferry rather than a yacht. It was a perfect day to be on the water - the sun was shining and the wind was blowing at around 10 kts. We passed 30 or so yachts and I was disappointed to see over 75% of them motoring!

It is high season, so many were probably charter yachts. But if you have no intention to sail then why not just charter a powerboat?

Pete

fuel cost?

Skylark

Visit site
You would think you'd at least have the mainsail up in 10 kts...

The 20% or so who were sailing looked like they were having a great time!

Pete

I agree it makes sense to have the main up with 10 kts, but.................."having a great time", you're taking the *iss, surely?

I guess it's ok to squeeze every last bit of sail trim if you've nowhere to go but if you have any tidal gates to contend with......on goes the trusty Volvo.

dunedin

Visit site

Sounds like you've got the wrong boat, the wrong sails or different attitude.

In 10 knots should be well powered up to windward or a reach on a boat with adequate sized rig - and perfect spinnaker breeze downwind.

My ideal boat would have first reef in 15 knots (and we are quite close to that upwind)

Flying Penguin

Visit site
Sounds like you've got the wrong boat, the wrong sails or different attitude.

In 10 knots should be well powered up to windward or a reach on a boat with adequate sized rig - and perfect spinnaker breeze downwind.

My ideal boat would have first reef in 15 knots (and we are quite close to that upwind)

Then again, take the average charter boat rig and you are just starting to move....

Last charter boat I had, a 32ft bene, only really started to come alive above 15 knots and at at 10 was not far off stationary.

WestwardBound

Visit site
We just got back from summer hols, to keep kids and wife on side it was primarily motor sailing to ensure that we made good passage times.
There were some good spells of sailing though, even including going to wind!
We saw a goodly number of yachts floating along slowly with the tide in the Solent on Saturday so be assured there are real sailors out there (on the weekend).