Does a nice boat turn you into an Alcoholic

Bouba

Visit site
These days I only drink in restaurants and I mostly eat in restaurants while boating.....

jon and michie

Visit site
Myself and err indoors always have a tipple onboard when not going out - However we do have 1 strict golden rule - No alcohol when going out sailing or even at anchor.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I wonder if all those that think it is all a joke are the ones that knock back the booze......................., Just a thought and something to perhaps think about

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Boating and drinking go together quite well .

However I have learned to drink in moderation after decades of practice.

Amen.

I suspect BP cant and therefore any drink leads to his incapacitation and by inference ours too. Tsk tsk. Tarred by the same brush. Gruesome. Send him to Roy for a week. That'll put big boy pants on him.

nicho

Visit site
It’s easy to fall into the habit of drinking alcohol wherever you are. Over the lockdown period(s), we got into the habit of every night watching TV until 21.00, then retiring into the kitchen and opening a bottle of wine (often followed by various chasers). This became a habit, and we realised we were drinking far too much, so have resolved to cut it out completely This decision was make only a couple of weeks ago, and the “nine o’clock pangs” receded after a few days. I honestly expected to feel 100% better after a few days, but a fortnight on, I feel no different at all? However, having just had a two yearly blood test, it seems my blood sugar has soared, borderline diabetic evidently, but as a sweet toothed chocoholic looks like that’s another thing I’ve got to cut out. I’m 78 in a couple of months, and all life’s pleasures are being denied me (yes that too?)

Momac

Visit site
I honestly expected to feel 100% better after a few days, but a fortnight on, I feel no different at all?

Same for me when I gave up smoking 8 years ago as of this week.
But I have no intention of returning to smoking.

With drinking its the daily habit that is easy to fall into but has to be broken as you have done. No need to give it up completely but nothing wrong with giving it a miss for a few weeks or as long as you like.
I am presently on booze free break .

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Amen.

I suspect BP cant and therefore any drink leads to his incapacitation and by inference ours too. Tsk tsk. Tarred by the same brush. Gruesome. Send him to Roy for a week. That'll put big boy pants on him.

Very sad if anyone feels a you are a Big Boy because they are a drinker......... Think about that for a while perhaps

Nom de plume

Visit site
Some years ago we were looking to buy a property on Skiathos and we were seriously advised not to buy one with a lovely view because many who did just sat and gazed at the view while drinking booze in time this got so bad they became alcoholics.

when reading several posts on hear I read many references to drinking on the boat and I wondered if sitting at anchor in nice or even not so nice weather could cause the same Over time.

I have nowt against alcohol and have a tipple from time to time but not that Offton. I actually prefer fruit juice these days.

So does boating push you towards the booze

I have to admit that I'm struggling with this concept - are you saying that you never buy 'nice' versions of houses, boats etc. because you fear that they may turn you into an alcoholic?
Are you surrounded by 'ugly' things?

A_8

Visit site
Walking around some of the harbour hotspots this summer thinking we may get back into some nice big boat but I was somewhat put off seeing how much drinking was going on, it was not uncommon for many to have had too much already at lunch, somewhat wasted at 2pm falling asleep and then go at again at 4pm.

What comes first though, a personality with the propensity for drinking and the boat being an acceptable place and context for it OR the boat life encouraging drinking to much?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Walking around some of the harbour hotspots this summer thinking we may get back into some nice big boat but I was somewhat put off seeing how much drinking was going on, it was not uncommon for many to have had too much already at lunch, somewhat wasted at 2pm falling asleep and then go at again at 4pm.

What comes first though, a personality with the propensity for drinking and the boat being an acceptable place and context for it OR the boat life encouraging drinking to much?

My thought is it is the Boat life sitting onboard on the flybridge or lower deck looking out to sea etc (very similar to sitting on ones balcony with a lovely view on holiday or in that villa you bought). You start with a glass of wine each, then a bottle between the 2 of you then a bottle each and then god forbid you buy a wine box with that little tap and you never know how much you are having. I think this sort of lifestyle can easily creep up on you and it can be hard to break the cycle. Some of course think it is ok . I have a friend that drinks 5-6, 3 ltr wine boxes a week and thinks it is ok. That is about 3 bottles a day for one person. Scary

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have to admit that I'm struggling with this concept - are you saying that you never buy 'nice' versions of houses, boats etc. because you fear that they may turn you into an alcoholic?
Are you surrounded by 'ugly' things?
See Post 34 very easy concept

mcanderson

Visit site
My thought is it is the Boat life sitting onboard on the flybridge or lower deck looking out to sea etc (very similar to sitting on ones balcony with a lovely view on holiday or in that villa you bought). You start with a glass of wine each, then a bottle between the 2 of you then a bottle each and then god forbid you buy a wine box with that little tap and you never know how much you are having. I think this sort of lifestyle can easily creep up on you and it can be hard to break the cycle. Some of course think it is ok . I have a friend that drinks 5-6, 3 ltr wine boxes a week and thinks it is ok. That is about 3 bottles a day for one person. Scary
Does your “friend” own a boat. Have you said anything to them. What does this random fact have to do with your original fishing question you asked to reinforce some point you already had??

Nom de plume

Visit site
See Post 34 very easy concept
I'm not trying to convince you, it's your choice of course. But surrounding oneself with lower quality housing and ugly boats for fear of becoming an alcoholic if you did so, seems more than a bit ott to me - are you really that close to being an alcoholic that you fear that simply sitting on a balcony or nice boat might tip you over the edge? Most people probably have more will power than that but of course only you know how close you are to succumbing to temptation.

Bowlerhat

Visit site
It‘s a thought provoking thread. I have no problem with not drinking at home, but the thought of a day/night on the boat without a tipple or two would somehow seem to deprive us of the totality of the boating experience. Everything in moderation etc but, frankly, life’s too short.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I'm not trying to convince you, it's your choice of course. But surrounding oneself with lower quality housing and ugly boats for fear of becoming an alcoholic if you did so, seems more than a bit ott to me - are you really that close to being an alcoholic that you fear that simply sitting on a balcony or nice boat might tip you over the edge? Most people probably have more will power than that but of course only you know how close you are to succumbing to temptation.

I think you have completely missed the point

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Does your “friend” own a boat. Have you said anything to them. What does this random fact have to do with your original fishing question you asked to reinforce some point you already had??

Don't understand any of that. and certainly not the fishing bit