Does a lazyjacks system need to be fixed so high on the mast?

B27

Visit site
Mine seem to be some slightly stretchy line, I don't see any need to adjust them.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The instruction for fitting the Barton Lazy Jacks Kit states they should be suspended from a position 70% of the length of the mainsail luff above the boom (and Barton are presumably well experienced in the matter and keen to minimise complaints and people coming back to them with issues).

That is broadly confirms what I think most people have been saying above, though it is measured slightly differently.

I would caution the OP from doing anything wildly different from the norm, unless he is content to reposition them again later if it doesn't work out.

He might find other parts of the Barton instructions a useful starting point (or at least food for thought), too.
https://bartonmarine.com/pdf/Lazy-jack-kit-for-yachts-up-to-9m-part-no-41150.pdf

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Mine are at the spreaders on a fractional rig boat, so less than 50% up the luff.
We have a stack pack.
The only thought I need to give to them is to take care the battens don't catch during hoisting.
Maybe lower is better from this POV, because during a hoist, the batten ends are outside the lazyjacks sooner?
So long as you look at the sail while hoisting, it's a non-problem, you just hoist when things aren't going to catch.

Sail is on luff slides.
A bolt rope luff might be a different animal?
Same as us then. And yes, Mrs C just watches the leech as she steers, and issues the command to hoist at the right time. Once the leech is through the lazyjacks, she can start to bear off onto the desired track.

johnalison

Visit site
Same as us then. And yes, Mrs C just watches the leech as she steers, and issues the command to hoist at the right time. Once the leech is through the lazyjacks, she can start to bear off onto the desired track.
I stand astride the tiller and hoist while watching the sail and steering at the same time. When the sail passes the lazy jacks I free the mainsheet and continue as far as I can. With luck my crew will then winch up the last few inches and tension it. It is actually a bit easier with some wind, which makes the sail flap and work its way heavenwards.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I stand astride the tiller and hoist while watching the sail and steering at the same time. When the sail passes the lazy jacks I free the mainsheet and continue as far as I can. With luck my crew will then winch up the last few inches and tension it. It is actually a bit easier with some wind, which makes the sail flap and work its way heavenwards.
Our sail, as you might imagine, is heavy for a 30 footer. Battens, cars, much heavier cloth than you’d find on a 30 foot mono. The main halyard is 2:1, which makes hoisting slightly less strain, but on the other hand there’s about 25 metres of rope to haul. I’d have to stick the autopilot on if I was alone. An aside, for the topic though. What I’ve got from the thread is that the position of your lazyjacks on the mast is unimportant. What works for you is good.

GHA

Visit site
What I’ve got from the thread is that the position of your lazyjacks on the mast is unimportant. What works for you is good.
Will depend on how far down the boom the fixing points are in relation to the height of the fixings on the mast as well, just zapped mine with a laser, any lower the outside tab sewn onto the bag would be putting all the stress on one corner of the stitching.

1720126319672.png

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Will depend on how far down the boom the fixing points are in relation to the height of the fixings on the mast as well, just zapped mine with a laser, any lower the outside tab sewn onto the bag would be putting all the stress on one corner of the stitching.

View attachment 179470
However, if ypur bag is made for a lower fixing, and different angle, all is well. The lines go through loops on our bag without strain. They’re fixed on the boom as well.

GHA

Visit site
However, if ypur bag is made for a lower fixing, and different angle, all is well. The lines go through loops on our bag without strain. They’re fixed on the boom as well.
They measured, they made. No discussion of fixing height on the mast when I got mine made. It works just great, another game changer single handed . Any lower it wouldn't sit right, too much lateral load & not enough vertical.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
They measured, they made. No discussion of fixing height on the mast when I got mine made. It works just great, another game changer single handed . Any lower it wouldn't sit right, too much lateral load & not enough vertical.
It fits, it works for you. Our system is built around the lower attachment. That fits, and works for us. The key is obviously to have everything designed to work together. If we suddenly decided to attach ours to the next diamond up, it would tear the tapes off the bag. Just like the reverse would do to yours.

GHA

Visit site
It fits, it works for you. Our system is built around the lower attachment. That fits, and works for us. The key is obviously to have everything designed to work together. If we suddenly decided to attach ours to the next diamond up, it would tear the tapes off the bag. Just like the reverse would do to yours.
what are the angles on yours? Might be similar. Your attachment tabs must be an odd shape for the resultant force to be outside the base if the force angle goes higher.
Though if it works it works, who cares. Every boat's different 👍

Last edited:

B27

Visit site
Not sure it needs to be that technical.
It's two panels of canvas hanging from three strings each, via some mediocre line.
You make it sound like Nora Batty's underwear.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Not sure it needs to be that technical.
It's two panels of canvas hanging from three strings each, via some mediocre line.
You make it sound like Nora Batty's underwear.
I’ve not paid it that much attention before, TBH. It’s one thing on the boat we have not changed apart from having a new bag made, identical to the old one. A side on photo would show what goes on, but it’s not the kind of photo you take, unless you’ve got problems. But our rearmost line runs in a straight line from the boom attachment, via a webbing loop on the bag, to the 1st block. The bag therefore just hangs there waiting to receive the sail. It’s not rocket science, just some obvious geometry.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Our sail, as you might imagine, is heavy for a 30 footer. Battens, cars, much heavier cloth than you’d find on a 30 foot mono. The main halyard is 2:1, which makes hoisting slightly less strain, but on the other hand there’s about 25 metres of rope to haul.
Why is it heavy? I would have thought that for a tri it would be light weight. That is, after all, part of its performance advantage off the wind. My fully battened fibrecon mainsail on 31 ft mono is 8oz cloth & that should be plenty for a 30ft lightweight boat. My last dacron sail was 7oz