Do you recognise this boat?

wild foamy

Visit site
Bit more progress this weekend, got both sides in and to a point where i am happy with them, next stop will be to get the roof on (still need to get the Stuart engine running though, that's in the garage for now, im thinking about a suitable upgrade but struggling to find a small diesel lump of around 2hp that will fit)

Last edited:

wild foamy

Visit site
Progress is slowed now as im not home for a few weeks, managed to get the magneto off the original Stuart R3M and cleaned the points, it has a weak spark when its spun over with a drill so will probably require further cleaning/fettling, failing that it might have to be a change to coil ignition.

clyst

Visit site
It is indeed an original Norman Pearn sea shanty 14 built in the early 60s ....(..the for runner to the later sea shanty 18 ....... They also built the Sea drift 20 sailing yacht) ,......many were built ,without the cabin and used as hire boats in Looe . The company Norman Pearn & co is still trading and have a website . It's now run by Norman's grandson . Give them a ring on 01503 262244 ......whether he maybe interested in talking to you about your boat is debatable but you have nothing to lose . Hope this is of some help.

MrSwatchway

Visit site
Hi
I am in the process of restoring a very similar model Sea Shanty The main difference is my version is built as a motor cruiser but looks almost identical with the exception of the portholes, on mine the windows follow the elliptical line around your portholes with one on each side and one at the front.

My boat was built by Norman Peane of looe 15’ is long powered by a stuart turner engine with coil ignition which is probably slightly later than your model. I have the original docs for the engine stating it is installed in Sea Shanty.

I hope this post helps even as it’s a few years since your original post.

Mary Gloag

Visit site
Bit more progress this weekend, got both sides in and to a point where i am happy with them, next stop will be to get the roof on (still need to get the Stuart engine running though, that's in the garage for now, im thinking about a suitable upgrade but struggling to find a small diesel lump of around 2hp that will fit)

Where is this barn?

David Pearn

Visit site
Hi everyone.
I've recently bought my first boat/project/barnfind, it's a 15ft sailing boat (the guy I bought it off said it was a Norman Sea Shanty) with a Stuart R3M inboard and I'm struggling to find any information about it, the sales are dated to 1981 but that's as close as I can get without finding a makers plate.

It's a fibreglass hull and deck, with a (currently rotten) wooden cabin, hopefully I'm looking to rebuild the cabin and get it out on the water, hopefully someone on here recognises it as it would be interesting to know a bit about its history

Yes! It is the Sea shanty 14. I probably helped build it. It looks nothing like that what ever some one
Hi everyone.
I've recently bought my first boat/project/barnfind, it's a 15ft sailing boat (the guy I bought it off said it was a Norman Sea Shanty) with a Stuart R3M inboard and I'm struggling to find any information about it, the sales are dated to 1981 but that's as close as I can get without finding a makers plate.

It's a fibreglass hull and deck, with a (currently rotten) wooden cabin, hopefully I'm looking to rebuild the cabin and get it out on the water, hopefully someone on here recognises it as it would be interesting to know a bit about its history

It is a Sea Shanty 14. Designed by my father and built in our yard at Looe. I possible could of helped build her, but NOT looking like that. My mobile number is 07879968929, my name is David Pearn

DownWest

Visit site
Love these odd threads, where someone who is looking at the net trips over a reference to something they were involved in years ago.
It has happened to me a few times, as my father also designed boats in the 50s & 60s in the ply era, then others in the GRP following ones.
It has lead to several interesting chats about times past.

David Pearn

Visit site
There used toy be H Pearn and sons Ltd. During trouble times the firm split in to two separate firms, my Uncle Gerald Pearn Ltd and Norman Pearn & Co Ltd. Both had there owen design of speed boats. My uncle Gerald Pearn designed 2 versions of Miss Looe and made quite a few. My father Norman Pearn built the Sea flight 26ft 6ins, we only built two, one going down to the Mediterranean and the other I believe running from Bournemouth.

Wansworth

Visit site
There used toy be H Pearn and sons Ltd. During trouble times the firm split in to two separate firms, my Uncle Gerald Pearn Ltd and Norman Pearn & Co Ltd. Both had there owen design of speed boats. My uncle Gerald Pearn designed 2 versions of Miss Looe and made quite a few. My father Norman Pearn built the Sea flight 26ft 6ins, we only built two, one going down to the Mediterranean and the other I believe running from Bournemouth.
Please stay around ,handy to have experienced boatbuilders on the forum