Do you dread seeing a boat with a particular national ensign come towards you?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Having spent a long time in various anchorages I have come to dread seeing the French ensign on a boat coming towards us.
I don't know why but the French will either anchor too close, not put enough scope down or not dig their anchor in.
Of course some French are excellent sailors but personal space does not exist in their language.
Is it just me?
Does the view of a particular ensign on a boat cause you to utter a few expletives as it heads towards your anchoring position?

charles_reed

Visit site
Having spent a long time in various anchorages I have come to dread seeing the French ensign on a boat coming towards us.
I don't know why but the French will either anchor too close, not put enough scope down or not dig their anchor in.
Of course some French are excellent sailors but personal space does not exist in their language.
Is it just me?
Does the view of a particular ensign on a boat cause you to utter a few expletives as it heads towards your anchoring position?

Greek flag - charterer - probably out of zone of competence - just got an RYA Day Skipper and expects all to look up to him.

Poignard

Visit site
After watching many episodes of "Spiral", I have learned to appreciate the fine qualities, sensitivity and culture of the French people.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Good question. With me it was the reverse.

On my return to the MED My boat wore the Swedish Ensign. In my ignorance, I blamed all those boats that anchored virtually in my cockpit on the fact that the crew wanted to ogle a Swedish Beauty. Not my boat, not me I must add. I did not appreciate that this new (to me) close quarters anchoring was the now accepted method of cramming fifty boats into an anchorage that would comfortably hold a dozen.

I switched ensigns to British (red) because of dual registration. Naughty but so what?

It did not make the slightest difference. Welcome to overcrowded anchorages.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Any Greek flagged charter 50' Cateraman, with an Eastern European crew. 90% probability 16-20 crew on board, captain with no experience beyond a day boat and chips on their shoulder large enough to use as fenders. When they appear on the horizon we leave.

laika

Visit site
After watching many episodes of "Spiral", I have learned to appreciate the fine qualities, sensitivity and culture of the French people.

After that and Braquo I certainly feel better equipped to effectively communicate my opinion of sub-optimal mouillage and make suggestions regarding the corrective actions a french-flagged neighbour should take.

I do confess that threads "having a laugh" mocking hackneyed national stereotypes are a bit..well.. y'know...what those tedious British middle aged reactionary stereotypes seem to enjoy

GrahamM376

Visit site
Funnily enough, the Brits have a bad reputation in many places for - refusing to move up the pontoon a bit closer to the next boat to make space for another or, tethering dinghy alongside to stop people rafting.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Having spent a long time in various anchorages I have come to dread seeing the French ensign on a boat coming towards us.

Exactly our experience every time a French boat anchored in front of us it dragged down on us. They also steal dinghies and outboards in the two weeks before they return to France, one French yacht was caught off Guadeloupe with ten of them on board. I remember tying up a dinghy in a marina in Guadeloupe to talk to Patrice of Mechanique Pleasance about a new generator who said ''don't bother locking the dinghy to the dock it's too early for the French to steal it''.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
>Having spent a long time in various anchorages I have come to dread seeing the French ensign on a boat coming towards us.

Exactly our experience every time a French boat anchored in front of us it dragged down on us. They also steal dinghies and outboards in the two weeks before they return to France, one French yacht was caught off Guadeloupe with ten of them on board. I remember tying up a dinghy in a marina in Guadeloupe to talk to Patrice of Mechanique Pleasance about a new generator who said ''don't bother locking the dinghy to the dock it's too early for the French to steal it''.

We had a holiday in France in my Jaguar which had four tyre valve caps with the Jaguar logo embossed on the head. I had fitted them a year or two earlier and had no problems in the UK but by the time we had completed our holiday all four valve caps had been stolen, each one at a different location. Secretly, I was quite flattered as I think it just shows that the French admire a good car and just wanted a little trophy.

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We had a holiday in France in my Jaguar which had four tyre valve caps with the Jaguar logo embossed on the head. I had fitted them a year or two earlier and had no problems in the UK but by the time we had completed our holiday all four valve caps had been stolen, each one at a different location. Secretly, I was quite flattered as I think it just shows that the French admire a good car and just wanted a little trophy.

Richard

We had four Jaguar tyre valve caps if your If you like to buy them Richard , I just need to get my friend Jean pierre to send them to me .