do you carry as sewing machine? if so which one?

doug748

Visit site
Singer 4423 - any comments about suitability?

Have a look at the reviews on Amazon.

I didn't unearth the motor power or the weight of the machine but there are moans about it burning out and light weight. A light machine is a pain with heavy work and you end up bolting it down. The structure also tends to be bulky, in order to achieve rigidity, so less clearance for material to pass through. I am also wary of high stitch speeds, much prefer slow power.

On the plus side it is a rotating hook machine which , my local mechanic tells me, is preferable for heavy work and the stitch lengths look handy.

However, it is too cheap - I'd be cagey.

bigwow

Visit site
Singer 99K on boat. Another Singer industrial walking foot machine, will stitch hardboard with needles like spears, at home, rarely used. Last time I used it it tried to drag my fingers under the foot!:eek:

geem

Visit site
Singer 201k. These are semi industrial and have been around since 1940s. Very reliable and tiny electric motor that runs off small inverter. Ours has made stack pack for both masts, bean bags for cockpit, all new upholstery in saloon, hatch covers, sun covers, binnacle cover, chaps for rib. Today we made leather covers for snatch blocks. Great machine and under £100 on fleabay. Will sew through whatever you can fit under foot! Sews webbing no problem. I wouldn't buy anything else

Petronella

Visit site
Singer 4423 - any comments about suitability?

We have a 4423 and have been very pleased with it. We have also lent it to two other sailors who were also pleased with it. One of them has now bought their own 4423.

We've used it to make sail covers and a dinghy cover as well as other smaller jobs. It has a larger overhanging bit than a lot of machines which means you can scrunchle wider material in which is a good feature.

We use jeans or leather needles and don't let them go too blunt. These are easy to buy on eBay.

For us it has been a good cost v performance machine even though we had some reservations before we bought it having looked at some of the reviews.

Tintin

Visit site
We have a 4423 and have been very pleased with it. We have also lent it to two other sailors who were also pleased with it. One of them has now bought their own 4423.

We've used it to make sail covers and a dinghy cover as well as other smaller jobs. It has a larger overhanging bit than a lot of machines which means you can scrunchle wider material in which is a good feature.

We use jeans or leather needles and don't let them go too blunt. These are easy to buy on eBay.

For us it has been a good cost v performance machine even though we had some reservations before we bought it having looked at some of the reviews.

Thanks - it is well priced but the reviews had concerned me so yet again this forum helps. Hurrah.

Talulah

Visit site
I started to make the bits for a cockpit enclosure last night. The sewing machine couldn't cope. (It's a light weight machine.)
I'm considering buying a Janome HD2200. Anyone any thoughts?

sarabande

Visit site
one of the specification pages does not mention zig zag, but a review says it has one. Very important for sail work.

It's handy being able to do flat work and then change to e.g circular pieces such as winch covers.

Visit site
two of our friends have sailrite machines which they paid a hell of a lot for £800+ I believe...we looked up heavy duty sewing machines on ebay and found, retro-recon , a great place who refurb old machines. Ours a Brother hand powered sailmakers machine cost £199 and goes through anything....my wife though has gone mad and seems to be making covers for everything. It is very simple and extremely sturdy and you can still get spares online if required. Being hand powered it is also totally independent and portable (if heavy). If you wished it could easily be put on deck and used up top.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Can you provide a link to that eBay seller, please?.

two of our friends have sailrite machines which they paid a hell of a lot for £800+ I believe...we looked up heavy duty sewing machines on ebay and found, retro-recon , a great place who refurb old machines. Ours a Brother hand powered sailmakers machine cost £199 and goes through anything....my wife though has gone mad and seems to be making covers for everything. It is very simple and extremely sturdy and you can still get spares online if required. Being hand powered it is also totally independent and portable (if heavy). If you wished it could easily be put on deck and used up top.

Poignard

Visit site
I have an old hand-cranked Singer 99K which I have successfully used to repair sail covers using jeans or leather needles.

Accessories and spares are still available for this model.

Visit site
Can you provide a link to that eBay seller, please?.

ha typical...sorry I just checked and they are not showing any listings for sale at the moment....however whilst on ebay I just searched... 'heavy duty sewing machine' and plenty sprang up for you to look at. All these machines are old but that also means they were made when things were built to last and not plastic but solid metal...

geem

Visit site
Our Singer 201k was made in 1940-50s. It will sew through whatever we put under the foot. It costs us £90 of eBay from a dealer who had serviced it and installed a new motor. Can't grumble at the price. We are now using Tenara thread in it as we have had some thread fail on covers due to UV in Caribbean. Tenara is supposed to be hard to use but we haven't noticed any difference on the old singer. Just sews as normal. Great bit of kit for very little money. It runs a 90w motor on our small inverter. We use it on the cockpit table

tcm

Visit site
I read similar threads to these prior to longish trips and thought ooh better get one! .... so altho I took and used a sewing machine (sailrite) a bit.... I sold it soon enough. A big lump on a boat. Buying even half-sensibly secondhand means you sell for the same or even better price.

capnsensible

Visit site
I read similar threads to these prior to longish trips and thought ooh better get one! .... so altho I took and used a sewing machine (sailrite) a bit.... I sold it soon enough. A big lump on a boat. Buying even half-sensibly secondhand means you sell for the same or even better price.

As well as taking up space, its taking the time to learn to use it with any degree of skill that makes it a bit of ballast on most boats. From what I've seen, anyway.