Do we have "Mug" written on our foreheads??

KAL

Visit site
The 12v electric motor that operates the hydraulic tilt on my outboard got water inside it, so corroded, failed and needed to be replaced.

It's a Yamaha engine, and the price for a replacement part in the UK is over £700. I was unable to find a reconditioned unit, so put the part number into google, which turned up the Yamaha USA site. There, the full price for exactly the same part was US$360. I found it for $340 on an OEM parts site, and paid $69 to have it shipped by USPS priority express. I then paid another £58 in import duty, VAT and Parcelforce's handling fees today and delivered it to my dealer for fitting.

Result - I have paid £306 for a part which Yam UK wanted me to pay more than double.

Why??? "Is it 'cos I is British"?

This is a disgrace. Price-fixing like this should be illegal.

SAMYL

Visit site
You will probably find that it is similar to the wiper motor in some Japscrap car and available from your local breaker for a tenner. :ambivalence:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
If it came to buying a part that, if it failed I could lose my boat, I would never compromise on quality. For example bilge pumps, radios, ball valves and skin fittings. But I can buy a macerator pump for $A70 online or a brand name at the chandlers for $A270. Anti siphon loop $A10 online and (same brand) chandlers $A33. Galley Water pump 4L/M $A17, chandler $A115. Rudder angle gauge/sender $A55 chandler (known brand) $A258

I did an eBay search on "Yamaha Outboard Motor Trim Tilt" and came up with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRIM-...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item417bdd2dd7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...a+Outboard+Motor+Trim+Tilt&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=0

KAL

Visit site
If it came to buying a part that, if it failed I could lose my boat, I would never compromise on quality. For example bilge pumps, radios, ball valves and skin fittings. But I can buy a macerator pump for $A70 online or a brand name at the chandlers for $A270. Anti siphon loop $A10 online and (same brand) chandlers $A33. Galley Water pump 4L/M $A17, chandler $A115. Rudder angle gauge/sender $A55 chandler (known brand) $A258

I did an eBay search on "Yamaha Outboard Motor Trim Tilt" and came up with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRIM-...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item417bdd2dd7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...a+Outboard+Motor+Trim+Tilt&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=0
I agree entirely, but the part I bought is a genuine Yamaha original item. My question is, why should I have to pay effectively triple the price in the UK, that I would pay if I lived in the states, for the same part from the same company? It's not down to taxes here, so it must be Yamaha taking the mickey.

Last edited:

hartcjhart

Visit site
I agree entirely, but the part I bought is a genuine Yamaha original item. My question is, why should I have to pay effectively triple the price in the UK, that I would pay if I lived in the states, for the same part from the same company? It's not down to taxes here, so it must be Yamaha taking the mickey.
or is it to do with numbers??,perhaps there is a much bigger market in the US so they have to discount the price,they the dealers can buy in bigger bulk

charles_reed

Visit site

Because they can get away with it and enhance their profits. With increasingly fluid borders people like Yamaha UK will find their spares business evaporating then, when you want it urgently you'll be told; "No call for that, mate..." So look on it as a premium for convenience - and carry on shopping around.
Please don't let's have legislation though - that would mean we'd have to pay the invigilators and our taxes would go up!

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I once worked for a major Blue Chip british company who had serious interest in automotive, aviation and marine markets, for both OE supply and spare parts-a british Bosch if you like.

The same CAV injector pump would be three different prices depending where it was going to end up.

A price-the highest-for the UK, another for Africa and another for India. Afganistan was one of the cheapest markets-early eighties.

When I asked why this was, I was told the company always charged the highest price the market would stand.

First Mate and I have been in Southern Spain since early January. We have found the cost of living about 20% cheaper here, with fresher, better quality food.

I wonder if the proximity to the port is why Cardo is finding it more expensive.

Around the port in Torrevieja the shops and resurants are more expensive than rural markets-which are great!

chal

Visit site
I have had a similar experience with a few components: straightforwarded branded goods, probably all made in the far east anyway, half the price or even better in USA. I suspect some of it is cos you is British: the Americans have a much stronger tradition of demanding value for money and going elsewhere if they don't get it, whereas in Britain there is that thing of "if you have to ask you can't afford it" which leads, I think, to a sort of snobby willingness to pay whatever is charged.

I think internet shopping might start to change that.

The Grauniad ran an article a few years ago about this and their conclusion was that, given shipping charges, import duties, etc, the cheapest option for some items was actually to travel to USA and buy the stuff, that way you got a free holiday into the bargain. I am seriously considering leaving the next few planned upgrades for a while and then going over to US and buying it all there.

Final note, not sure if they still do but Yamaha used to manufacture parts for USA in France, so they should really be cheaper here!

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I think internet shopping might start to change that.

The Grauniad ran an article a few years ago about this and their conclusion was that, given shipping charges, import duties, etc, the cheapest option for some items was actually to travel to USA and buy the stuff, that way you got a free holiday into the bargain. I am seriously considering leaving the next few planned upgrades for a while and then going over to US and buying it all there.

When you go to the US of A have a look at large secondhand boats. A lot of them are being bought by Aussies and shipped over. Many are bought sight unseen but they are bought from a reputable broker, lots of photos and a report by a surveyor so there is probably not much risk. My nephew bought a 40ft launch (twin motor) and he was more than happy with it.

ALPHORA

Visit site
Had to buy a new glow plug for our diesel cooker. UK Distributor price was £42 with a two week wait. When the new one arrived I realised it was nothing out of the ordinary and checked the maufacturers part number and sourced one on ebay for £6.50 delivered the next day, identical unit as fitted to lots of Toyota cars and vans. I should have taken the old one out before ordering, at least my now in stock spare was a reasonable price.

Visit site
You think Britains a rip off, try NZ - just spent two weeks there; you need some deep pockets for that place i can tell you, no choice - **** quality - astronomical pricing. I was going to buy a kiwiprop for my Centaur whilst i was there until i realised there was no difference in price, work that out? That said i've bought very little for my project in the uk as its proven - even with duties - to be more cost effective buying abroad.

ParaHandy

Visit site
I quickly read your post and thought it was about Yanmar from whom their water pump impellor, bought in the UK, has risen to £45 or 3 times what it costs in the USA. I asked the very pleasant lady selling it if Yanmar were having a laugh. What can you do? Well, if I re-engine it won't be Yanmar.

doris

Visit site
Not all things in America are cheaper.
Going through an official healthcare report last week saw a comparison of MRI prices. In Europe $300 average, the same in the states, $1200.
Feel free to have a sick engine over there but don't be sick yourself.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Going through an official healthcare report last week saw a comparison of MRI prices. In Europe $300 average, the same in the states, $1200.

And in Australia it would cost..............................nothing!! (Of course people have to pay for elective surgery)

charles_reed

Visit site
I quickly read your post and thought it was about Yanmar from whom their water pump impellor, bought in the UK, has risen to £45 or 3 times what it costs in the USA. I asked the very pleasant lady selling it if Yanmar were having a laugh. What can you do? Well, if I re-engine it won't be Yanmar.

But you can get the same impeller for £16 from Johnson Pumps - just proves the "value" of that plastic bag and the magic name Yanmar.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
As well as sailing I'm a part time musician. A software synthesizer was £150 in the UK but less than £50 in the US. As it comes on a cd I got a friend to buy it and post it to me. No customs, no VAT no hassle. American Guitars have long been as many pounds in the UK as they are dollars in the US. In the 60s a friend of mine worked for an airline and imported Martins to order - one every trip - at American prices plus a small profit.

savageseadog

Visit site
I asked the price of an Adler industrial sewing machine zigzag presser foot a couple of days from Solent Sewing..................£214!